xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
karlosantana

A Adsl Router With A Control Panel And A Log Help me please

Ok so my mum is wanting me to build her a server, fine thats easy. Howver its an ADSL router in effect with a control panel and a type of logging system!I've seen it done but i want to know how so i can build this thing!So it needs to have/do the followingFirst it needs to distribute the adsl over a network (4 different computers) wireless AND WIRED!It has to have a logging system so th user can see whos been on the net, when and what they were looking atIt needs a type of tracking system, i guess, to remember analyze and monitor programs going through it (like a little firewall?) It needs to be as cheap as possible i do realise i will have to buy things! All pcs access the internet through it enabling it to monitor things going in and out of itIf possible it needs to monitor things like msn store chat logs even but i think i know how to do this one!Any ideas? All pcs have to access the internet through it. It has to monitor things another operating system wouldn't bother me! Please help it's quite urgent as a family "problem" has risen up and this is what my mother wants now :) and im not the badie! :) Any help is appreciated Karlos

A Draytek Vigor 2800V would do nicely for you but since its probably to expensive get a Belkin Wireless-N or similar.Honestly keyloggers and freeware out there for your home lan to track anything you want and you will need a decent firewall too even though there is a sufficient options in the control panel to lock down your network.You ken wot i mean pal?!!!!!!!

Yer i get whats you mean but i was wondering if it's possible to make a pc to do all that? i'm gonna look some more as i have found some different keywords now thanks to you! and i will post my findings but in the mean time help is still appreciated

if you want a PC to do all that ...i can help you..

you can let one PC be the server and the others connect to the internet via that PC

you just need to install a proxy software like ccproxy(thats what i use) on the server(PC directly connected to internet)..

it is easy to use and it has been working well so far..

proxy softwares let all the PCs on LAN connect to internet via one PC(the computer which has direct internet connection)

the software saves logs about the sites visited by all the connected PCs

and i think will do the stuff you have asked for here.....

if you want to go for it ...i can help you

Edited by klusk (see edit history)

Ok brilliant that helps! I wounder though could this be used through a WAN? could another pc connect to a domain and share the Internet connection? just a thought but a good one!