xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cragllo

Setting Up A Simple Network how to do it...

This tutoral will show you how to link two computers using Windows 98 or higher together...

Plug in your Crossover network cable into the ethernet sockets of the two computers, so that thay are linked together.

If using XP

Go to Control Panel > Network Connections and right click your Local Area Connection icon, select Properties.

under This connection uses the following items, Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.

Set the following:

IP address: 192.168.0.1

Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.0.1

Preferred DNS Server: 192.168.0.1

and click OK

Do the same to the second computer with the following:

IP address: 192.168.0.2

-----------------------------------------------

If using 89

right click your Network Neighborhood icon, select Properties.

under The following network components are installed, Select TCP/IP ->

(and the name of the network card) and click Properties.

Set the following:

and click OK

Do the same to the second computer with the following:

IP address: 192.168.0.2

You now need to set files to be chared...

Right click on a folder or sevice, and choose the Sharing tab, its prettey easy after that...

If you want to add more computers to the network, you will have to get a router, and instead of using crossover cables, use normal network cables...

I hope this is useful to someone out there...

So in other words, the main computer holding this network is 192.168.0.1, correct? So in case that falls down, is there a way to network this for three or more computers? (I've not ever messed with network connections, but it would be nice to know) The only possible way I can think of this would be if you changed the Preferred DNS server and left the main.The main reason I'd like to know this is for hosting server on games.

Sorry, you do not need to fill in Preferred DNS Server just ignore that...

I said this in the first post,

'If you want to add more computers to the network, you will have to get a router, and instead of using crossover cables, use normal network cables...'

As long as the IP of each computer starts off the same its ok, so...

IP address: 192.168.0.any

e.g.

they will all work... 3 ip's 3 pc's

------------------------------------------

On the other hand if you want to share an internet connection between multiple pc's...

(XP only)

Go to Control Panel > Network Connections and right click your internet connection icon, select Properties.

On the pc that is connected to the internet click the Advanced tab and under Internet Connection Sharing

chech the box to allow it.

Now, right click your Local Area Connection icon, select Properties.

under This connection uses the following items, Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties.

Set the following:

On the other computers, check the box saying, obtain an IP address automatically

just set the Preferred DNS Server to 192.168.0.1

(to get to these option on Win98, follow the directions in the first post)

Then click OK

Edited by cragllo (see edit history)

IP address: 192.168.0.anySubnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Sorry Crag, I mistated what I meant. I know you'd have to use network cables (A Given. ;)), but what I'm worried about with a server is, say Computer 1 (192.168.0.1), the Default gateway goes down. Would not this mess the whole network up?

I would like a safety to wh ere 192.168.0.2 becomes the new Temporary Default gateway, is this possible to do without a program? (Program detects 192.168.0.1 is inaccessible, attempts to contact next on the list, defaults that and the rest of the networked computers to a new gateway)

If pc one goes down, you will have to start it up again, lol.Im not sure, I dont think it can be done automatically, because pc 1 would be connected to the internet, the others would not?COMRADE_Sped: im not sure about that either, im just sharing what i learned myself... Im just getting to grips to networking...I have a web server set up on my 2nd pc, but my main pc is the one connected to the net, And I do not know how to access it from the internet...

Edited by cragllo (see edit history)

use switch, switch is better than hub, because it switch is smart and he switches packet, he remembers ip adresess, so it is faster than dumb hub.

I now use wireless, because there is no wire ;);), and it is good for me because i am mobile. Speed is good enogh and so on. I use usb wireless adapter that works well.

You can buy one access point and one adapter, or 2 usb adapters and connect 2 computer at 11MBit or 54MBit in AD-HOC modes.

I use this adapter dlink dwl-122: Posted Image and also using this great asus wl-130b Posted Image,

great wireless card for low prize. I love it.