xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Blitz

Game Creation

If you aren't skilled enough to program your own game then yes the "game creators" will cost money, but there are plenty of free compilers out there if you bothered to learn a real language. You could use a lot of the tools that DemonFire suggested to help you on your quest. Thanks for that list demon. The real price for making the game would come in paying for a team that would help you make it, if you use any classes or engines that require you to buy them (but there are plenty of game engines out there already if you want a pre-built one), and perhaps advertisement costs, and perhaps a server if you want to make a multiplayer game that isn't going to direct connect.

Game Maker is very good and easy to use.

I never personally liked game makers... I've been programming my own games for 12 years now... Not that I made anything good, and earned money, but then again, I never intended to... I started with simple text-based adventures on Commodore 64, then moved in to sprite graphics, also on C64... Then moved to PC... The rest is history... Most of the good games I made are gone now, obsolete, or destroyed, and I don't intend to make them again... I saw I can, so there's no thrill in making it again...As Alex said, best would be to learn programming, then learn how to use OpenGL, or DirectX API (I would recommend OpenGL), and off you go... Start with simple games, like mines, tetris, side-view shooters and alike, and then move on to a more complex games, like isometric-view space strategies, or FPS... It's not as hard as it looks ^_^

I would personally recommend RPG Maker XP and the new one out, RPG Maker VX. With these programs you can program but create games without any programming done by the game creator at all. It is more simple than Game Maker, and comes with its own real time package. I'd say they're your best bet for user-friendliness and creating good games. Wouldn't you agree DeM0nFiRe?

Some games made from Game Maker are pretty crap. But some people make really awesome games. It really depends on how much time you spend on them.

If you want a good 3d game engine. Blender has one built in. Blender is a 3d rendered and game engine all in one. You can also do stuff for cg in movies. If you are wanting to get serious about game programming. Blender is a good place to start. It is all open source, which means its FREE! You can find a ton of tutorials for it on wikipedia, and you can get a nice 3d game going relatively easy.

I see that several individuals have put in different opinions on Mark Overmars' Game Maker (found at https://www.yoyogames.com/). I will admit, for diehard programmers, Game Maker isn't the best tool. But for the average guy who wants to have a little fun in their spare time, it is perfect.Game Maker and the Game Maker Language is an event-based scripting language, which basically means WHEN this happens, DO this. It makes games really simple, because most games have to do with what happens when two baddies touch, or when your knife goes in the other guy's armor.I would highly suggest a review of Game Maker if you are looking to make computer games for fun. The free install comes with all kinds of tutorials and helps, and if you pay the extra 20 bucks, you can do more with three-dimensions and particle programming. A great tool.

If you're not so "full of money", try a good open source engine such as "Ogre3D" or "Retribution Engine" for some good games...If you have ample amounts of cash to play around with, try a full-on commercial engine such as "Unigine", "Gamebryo", "Unreal Engine 3"...But if you have money but not THAT much, use Unity3D, it is good engine. It is built for Macs, and so can only be used on Macs, although if you get the professional edition, you can also create games on PCs. Otherwise just use Ogre3D... I'm not that into game engines, but you'd want an engine that has good physics, graphics rendering, collision, high "modifiability" which I recommend Blender3D for... but if you're serious about developing but don't have much money and aren't gonna go with anything open source, then I would recommend Torque Game Engine Advanced (TGEA). Sure, it has a high learning curve, but from reviews its worth the learning...

Well i can make a text based game it doesnt take that long but you get the hang of it and its online so you play against people thats why its goodyou can also mod or edit the codes to change the way the game works or looks and people are always releasing some of their own mods for codesi used mc codes v2 it wasnt that bad just you realy need a good host on that hand mine wernt so good as they terminated my website for using 1 min crons :)

If your interested in rpg making rpg maker xp/vx are good ways to get creative, I personally have both and it's pretty fun to see what kind of creative ideas you come up with so may be corny some may be dull and some may actually become really good :] i havent really fully developed a full fledged game since it takes time but I like to create cutscenes and make it like a movie to show to my friends creating scenarios of things that could happen if we were in a video game.