xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
elaks

Humorous Rapping Just Isn't Funny Any More.. ASDFGASDF11

For the last few months I've seen an increasing amount of comic rap on YouTube. It's always the same setup- a white college student makes a video of himself rapping about things in a gangster style. A recent example was a YouTube 'Comedian' made a rap about being an average guy. Needless to say it followed all the basic rules: gang hand symbols, dressing up like a gangster, joking about how un-gangster he was. The video got relatively good marks and comments remarking how intelligent and fresh this style of comedy was. It would be fresh, and intelligent had it been new- but it's been done before. To death.

When Weird Al Yankovich made a parodyy of 'Gangster's paradise' he called it 'Amish paradise'- people went crazy over the song. I have some friends who prefer it to the original (Not me) and know the words of by heart (Me :) ). The reason everybody liked it was because it was the first time a professional artist had released a rap parody to the masses. It was also quite well done- arguably Weird Al's best song. He had people in the market cornered because something like this was so fresh and daring- so daring that he got in trouble with Coolio (The original's creator) because of the level of piss-taking.

What people on YouTube need to learn is that some things are intended to be funny for a while- and not intended to be cruise control for lazy comedians. I think people should at least put some effort into making parodies in the future. There's a Christmas Rap on YouTube at the moment which I can't bear to watch as I'm going to assume it's a bunch of white guys jigging around- no matter how good spirited it is.

Merry Christmas!

WHAT YOU THINK N****S?! - Feedback thanks! :(

I totally agree with you, like, at first rap parodies were really funny, but they're just not original anymore... more like just painful...Merry Christmas to you too! :)

Yeah I have seen an over abundant amount of rap parodies which I have to admit some are rather funny. But honestly, people need to think of something else, because Weird Al Yankovich also did "White and Nerdy" which was a parody of "Ridin' Dirty" another gangsta song. The problem with a lot of people who try to make parodies is they use the same lyrics over and over. They usually use a stereotype that makes them seem uncool, which is fine and can be funny, but not when you hear it a thousand times. I think that people may want to re-think when they try to make those rap songs. I completely agree with you and I think that maybe if new rap songs keep coming out they should at least try to make it a little different because I'm tired of listening to things like playing Dungeons & Dragons, and putting mayo on food. Good post, thought I was the only one who thought about this xD!-Jester