xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
savgunz

Mac Vs Pc Which is better? [OPINION]

What do you use and like?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

OK... Mac or PC. :P

Pros for Macs

About 4x faster than a PC with the same processor, memory, etc.

User-friendly (very easy to use and manage)

Comes with lots of programs like iLife which includes iWeb, iPhoto, iMovie, iDVD and more

You can run Windows or any other OS on it (program is parallel)

No viruses

Looks very modern

Steve Jobs gets payed $1US per year (he gets lots of gifts), so he works hard

Cons for Macs

Very expensive (except for Mac-mini)

Keyboard is hard to get used to

Easy to steal

PC - pros

umm... once you're good at using it, it's very easy

VERY cheap

You can hack OSX Leopard and sort of run a mac on your pc without some key features

Easy to hack computers, software, etc.

Looks OK

Hard to steal because it's so heavy

PC - cons

Slow, ones as good as Macs cost at least $3000US

Everyone uses them - don't you want to be different?

Hard to manage if you don't know how to use it

So many viruses that it's not even funny.

Anti-viruses cost money

Vista is annoying - asks you whenever you do anything

Vista blocks any programs that open other programs

Bill Gates isn't writing software anymore and still getting payed alot

Halo-idea stolen from Apple

P.S. I got to go finish this later.

Edited by savgunz (see edit history)

I've only had my macbook pro for just under 2 years now I think. before that I've been using a regular PC with windows OS 95 to XP. I've got to say I like mac os x better then any windows so far. The only down side I have so far is certain programs wont run on mac, most annoying is alot of games wont run on mac so PC is still better for games.The user interface in mac is different from windows but once you get used to it you may or may not fall in love with it. I personally found it a change from many years of windows user interfaces. As for the difference in performace between mac os x and windows its debatable. But I personally think OS x runs more stable and better. I'll run my laptop 24/7 and it still feels like its just been booted up. I dont get as many errors as I do on windows again this may be due to many factors not really windows fault but who knows. I think required upkeep on a mac is far smaller then would be required on a windows. I havent had any major problems so far compared to windows where after an a year or so of installing and removing software something is wrong with it and the only quick fix is full reinstall of windows.I think the learning curve with any new OS is a few weeks or months. You cant just use it one time and expect to fully understand it so if you havent really tired using it you dont know what its about. I still havent tried windows vista, it looks great but I dont think my old comp would run it as well as xp so I doubt I would be able to try it out throughly untill i get an upgrade or new build. It all comes down to personal peference some people will bash an OS and not really know what its ment for. there are pros and cons to all of them. Linux is something I wish I had more time to play with. Try it out if you havent used an OS before you could be surprised at what you didnt know about it.

I think you are talking about Windows vs. Mac.

Because hardware isn't that different if it has the same specs.

And I have yet to see computer hardware (internal) that is "user-friendly".

PC has become synonymous with Windows even though PC means Personal Computer. There are so many different kinds of hardware for computers that run Windows, so saying that PCs are slower is a huge generalization (if you define a PC as a computer running Windows).

So, basically what I'm saying is, please use the proper terms when referring to the two (or at least tell what you mean by "PC").

There will be fan boys of both Windows and PCs against Mac OS X and Apple products.So before you say anything, just a bit of a note: Try to go for the educated post.I'll post my opinion tomorrow... I'm too tired to right now. It's bedtime for me. :P

if you mean PC (personal computer, no windows) then PC will be a lot more user friendly, and also that their 'Start' button is so hard to reach sometimes. and because most hardware stores these days only stock 'PC' certified hardware, and many Macs (such as the iMacs, etc) are very hard to open (if you don't know what you're doing) and also that many macs nowadays have a screen built into them so if the screen breaks or it malfunctions (dead-pixels, stuck-pixels etc) then you'll have to get a new one (unless of course you are going to get a replacement screen (which is very rare to find and is hard (and expensive) to replace...But with PC, all you need to do is replace the monitor... easy...Oh, and did I mention that their start button is hard to reach sometimes and is a major inconvenience and it is very annoying... yes i did actually...I don't agree with you on the performance part... because now any computer (regardless if it is Windows or Macintosh) the hardware is the thing that counts. If you plan to build your own PC with the same parts and build a Mac with the equivalent to parts then there won't be much difference at all (Windows will go ahead in some situations whilst Mac will go ahead in other situations).I personally don't like Mac, not only does it have almost no 'Fun' games on it, it also has no right mouse button which I find very annoying especially for some applications which have been modified for use on a Mac.Macs are generally much more expensive than windows' computers and I think you've got it the wrong way round... a windows computer costing around US$1500 might have a Mac with the same performance for around US$2000-US$2500...So, yeah, I personally prefer PCs' (Windows computers) but Macs are fine for some things (like video editing etc) although if you do want extremely good performance + being very cheap (US$0) and being able to run in parallel with windows get LINUX! (I should do more exclamation marks but there isn't much point)

I am one of the many folks who use a PC and have been considering a Mac. I have read many posts on the subject of Macs vs PCs, that the Mac OS is more stable, doesn't get infected with viruses or spyware (I would assume virus/spyware writers go for the biggest target, Windows), and is ''easier'' to use.Can someone please explain in plain english how a Mac is easier to use? I assume there are similarities like the use of file architecture and ''windows'', but why is Mac's way of running say Photoshop Elements better? Why, specifically, is the Mac OS better than Windows if you take out the virus/spyware issue? BTW, maybe I'm lucky, but in the 3 months I've been running XP, I haven't had a single crash, blue screen, or virus. Of course I'm knocking on wood!!;-)Thanks!

I think mac os x is built on free BSD correct me if i'm wrong but I remember reading about somthing along the lines. so if your a linux user you can use that as well. I'm not sure what the limitations are on that. As with the handling of viruses and spy ware I dont even know if macs have them lol because you do get updates but they are security updates and theres no info ever that your mac is scanning for a virus or running one its not obvious I guess mac os x handles all that for you in the background. As far as an OS Its very stable. loads programs very well, I've only got 512 mb ram and I run almost all my apps pretty well including PS CS3, although When I'm running alot of things all at once I know theres alot of disk > memory swapping because I've got so little ram. I can upgrade to 2gig on my modle and its much cheaper now so I will do it soon. I think thats one of only a few downside I have on my laptop.The laptop it self is built to a high standard compared to other laptops that look bulky and flimsy. Its very thin compared to others and has a very solid look and feel to it. I personally like the grey metelic look. I think the keyboard on it isnt very suited for games as when I was playing dota on it for a while I would spam r key for a spell and eventually i messed it up lol. Now it acts funny but I dont like typeing on there anyway. I use an external keyboard thats much more comfortable. I would encourage anyone to try out a mac if you havent used one before and not take someones word for it. maybe what they dont like you can live iwth or better like. I just dont want people to miss out on trying something different just because of bad word of mouth from some peoples experence. I mean I like my mac and I've always been a windows user before that so I'm not bais Its just my peference. I think apple are a cool company and their vision is great. They bring out alot of cool products iTv iPhone, iPod. THeir new desktop looks awsome its very flat very elagent.

I am a mac user and I think macs are the greatest... for me. I like how its so sleek, easy to use and hassle free. I have teh belief that because apple make the hardware, operating system and alot of the software (excluding freeware and shareware) they know their stuff (hence no BSOD) because they don't make both hardware and software.(Of course when I say hardware i mean design of course because I'm sure apple don't make each piece themself)But It's down to what you like, You might be a windows user and love every bit of it. That's fine. I prefer macs because they look better, way better (IMHO) than vista. Macs handle the 'visual styles and effects' quite well (unless you're doing something crazy which is understandable).For The every day user, i think a mac is a good idea. as long as your internet provider has software/drivers for mac for their hardware it will be fine. easy to use, programs are often cheaper (e.g office is like $350AU and iwork is $99AU, Vista ulitmate is like 1000, leopard is like 159 or so.) all the cool apps that come with it, iPhoto, Garageband, iWeb, iTunes, iDVD and they kick windows stuff in the butt. plus they make most of the pro end stuff. And I haven't had to call them with a software problem and have them blame the manufacture and have manufacturer say thats software and not their fault.plus lately my pc has been giving me trouble :lol: when I say pc i mean loading linux seems to stop all the problems...Only problem is it costs a bit to get them upgraded, you can't do anything other than the ram yourself.Macs rule, PCs aren't as cool, and linux is good

I am really tired of this argument. They are both great and they are both terrible. There everyone happy? Reading this thread made me extremely angry. I don't think a Xisto post has made me this mad in my entire life. Arrogant users of their operating systems claim that theirs is the best just because they haven't even tried the others. And the fact that Linux wasn't mentioned in savgunz's post makes him even less qualified to make this thread.
Recently I have been triple booting my MacBook Pro with Ubuntu, windows and Leopard. I think they are all Great. I wish people would stop doing this. They all have their downfall but that doesn't mean they suck. In fact if I had to choose a favorite it would be Ubuntu. Just because of the fact that linux is so customizable you can make the GUI look any way you want without being limited what some big corporation thinks your GUI should be. Thats what an OS is meant to be anyway. Functional and how you want it to feel. Mac and windows actually force their GUI onto you even if you don't like it. Now that being said, as far as hardware goes, I just prefer the Apple design (I mentioned I run a MacBook Pro). It's sleek and powerful, and even though its a bit more pricey than Dell or Gateway may be I think that is worth it.

That being said I'm going to go back to the thread. I think csp4.0's post was the most irritating however.

I personally don't like Mac, not only does it have almost no 'Fun' games on it

First of all gamers who think just because there isn't a version of counter-strike for mac, that suddenly macs can't play games. What the hell are you saying. Ok you have a game that only supports windows, alright thats great go use windows, but when you're ready to drop the little kiddie stuff and actually want a decent operating system I think you'll want to make the switch.

it also has no right mouse button which I find very annoying especially for some applications which have been modified for use on a Mac.

Just because you can't find the right click button on a mac doesn't mean it doesn't exist. You really need to stop just repeating what you hear on the internet and actually try to use one before you talk about it. Edited by galexcd (see edit history)

I am one of the many folks who use a PC and have been considering a Mac. I have read many posts on the subject of Macs vs PCs, that the Mac OS is more stable, doesn't get infected with viruses or spyware (I would assume virus/spyware writers go for the biggest target, Windows), and is ''easier'' to use.
Can someone please explain in plain english how a Mac is easier to use? I assume there are similarities like the use of file architecture and ''windows'', but why is Mac's way of running say Photoshop Elements better? Why, specifically, is the Mac OS better than Windows if you take out the virus/spyware issue? BTW, maybe I'm lucky, but in the 3 months I've been running XP, I haven't had a single crash, blue screen, or virus. Of course I'm knocking on wood!!;-)

Thanks!

Well, first of all, thanks for being open-minded enough to ask the important questions. One thing you might do to dispel the "Mac is more expensive" myth is go to apple.com/store and build a Mac. Load it up. Now open a new tab in your browser and go to Dell.com and do the same. Try to equip the Dell the same as the Mac. I'd recommend the iMac for starters. The first thing you'll find is you won't be able to put a 1 TB hard drive in the Dell. You probably won't be able to put in the latest processor from Intel, either, I think it runs at 3.06 Ghz. The RAM shouldn't be a problem, just look at the speed of the motherboard to make sure they're the same. When you get as close as you can, what is the price difference? Keep in mind the Mac comes with quite a lot of software included with the OS and the iWork suite is quite good and a 10th of the price that MS charges for Office. There are other benefits too. You could use Boot Camp to partition that big fat Terabyte hard drive and run XP on the other partition for those silly games you might enjoy playing that won't play in OSX. I personally use XP to run MS Streets and Trips for work-related activities and to run a little USB File Transfer program for my FTA receiver. Otherwise, I'm in the Mac side all the time. Oh, and, like Alex says, Apples have always had a right click, and the Mighty Mouse actually has it built in. If you choose to buy a three click mouse, the middle clicker can easily be programmed as well, so it's a myth that there is no right click on a Mac, and it's a myth that Mac is more expensive, too. When you go to buy, use an educational discount on line, or ask the rep you talk to on the phone to help you out a little. They're usually pretty easy to work with and you can get a 10% discount without too much effort. Another option is to look at their re-furbished section on the web site for some even better deals with full factory warranty. Good luck!

I agree with alex, Go into one of the stores that has macs on display, to play with. Just have a look around Try iWork, some of the iLife apps, Even ask one of the sales people to show you some of the cool stuff they can do. macs are awesome, and wonderfully easy to use.

Don't knock it till you've tried it properly how many people do you know thats lost a laptop or had one severly damaged because someone tripped over a powercable? Macbooks have a magsafe power adapter, which means it will come out if someone trips over the adapter, The Macbook Pro's have a backlit keyboard that sense the ambient light, and with the macbooks you can use two keyboards, you can turn caps lock on one and it won't be turned on on the other, in effect you're running two different keyboards. E.G Now on my USB keyboard I hit the caps lock THE LIGHT IS NOW ON ON THIS KEYBOARD I LOOK AT THE BUILT IN ONE AND THE LIGHT IS OFF. now i am typing with the built in keyboard. The main thing this is good for is (I dont know if all manufacturers of PCs do it, but toshiba does) you can run with an external keyboard, turn numberlock on and use the numpad on the USB/External keyboard, then when you unplug it and take the laptop and just use the built in keyboard you forget its on number lock and instead of typing 'this is a wonderful day. have you seen my dog' it becomes 'what a w6nderf43 day. have y64 seen my dog' and another feature that to do with this I just discovered is that the numlock on the built in keyboard disables all keys (except possibly enter, backspace etc) other than the ones in num lock.

There are dozens of little features like that, ones that the average user doesn't notice (I've had my macbook a year and only just picked up on that) but little things that don't make use annoying. e.g you can enable two finger scrolling on the touchpad/trackpad as opposed to the 'scrolling part' where if you touch that part it will scroll.

Expose which can show you all windows, or all windows for that program (which is useful because the alt-tab equivalent switches between apps, not windows. Very cool when you've got 10 apps open with like 3 windows each, and you want to go to one of the last windows (Alt-Tabing through 27 odd windows) as opposed to CMD+Tabing throug 9 and then f9 and you can see all the windows for the app and click on which one you want.

Don't macs until you've tried them. the pros far outway the cons, unless you're a geek-gamer and thats all you want, a machine you can play counterstrike on... besides you can play wow on macs...

OkI'll start with "yes, I should be studying for exams lol, but I'm writing about this"...and now onto my argumentApple products are all the rage. Why? Clever marketing, clever Steve, clever gadgetsBut Mac vs PC? I mean, come onBASICSMac = * Expensive [twice that of a comparable spec PC] * Unexpandable [They squish stuff into the tiny Macbook air, of course you can't put your GeForce 9800 GTX in it!] * "Safe" OS [because nobody cared enough in the past to make viruses for it] * "one button for everything" [try playing any game with that] * Oh right, I forgot, you CAN'T play games on itPC * Cheaper [check the specs, don't just buy something without checking its specs * Near limitlessly upgradeable [new PCIe card? just slot it in!] * CAN PLAY GAMES * Safe OS [unless you're an idiot that doesn't know how to protect him/herself from virii and trojans on the net]I mean, Mac users, please stop crowing about your awesome Mac. You paid double the necessary amount for a tiny computer that can't even be upgraded, when you COULD have used that money to buy a sweet PC gaming machine. So have your Leopard, or OSX. Vista may suck, but it's certainly the lesser of two evils.So Mac vs PC? Macs can go die, and if you're just jumping on the Apple bandwagon because they have nice music players, or because you THINK you know computers but actually you just saw some advertisements bashing PCs, think again. You're being screwed by Steve Jobs - let's break the cycle of Mac ignorancePC FTW

Notice from truefusion:
Merging of topics started here.

Alright, first of all you really need to search before creating new topics in this forum. This topic is some big fat spam... Because I am tired of posting this multiple times I'll just make a neat little list that hopefully you can understand... First lets get some disclaimers out of the way so you don't immediately assume that I'm one of the typical mac users who defend every apple product? I use a mac because I'm a video editor along with a programmer however I do not think it is the best operating system out there.? I tripple boot my computer with leopard, ubuntu, and XP? My favorite out of the three is Ubuntu however most of my video compositing apps only run in mac so I don't find much time to boot into it.Alright now things that make you look like an idiot:? PC isn't an operating system or even a specific type of computer. Even if your referring to a machine capable of running the windows operating system there are a ton, dell, gateway, and look now even apple hardware can... So I'll assume your use of the word PC means a non apple machine?? I'm not going to even bother explaining the one button or games remark, but anyone with access to google should find an accurate answer for this.? Upgrading: Yes the mac book air, way to pick out an ultrathin notebook and say its not upgradeable. How about the Sony vaio TZ, doesn't have PCIe slots, can't put your GeForce 9800 GTX in it.... Ahah obviously sony vaios suck... Gateway T1616, doesn't have PCIe slots, can't put your GeForce 9800 GTX in it.... Should I keep going?? Safe os: Alright, you got me only reason apple doesn't have viruses on it is because nobody cares enough to write one? Alright fine, why don't you and all the others that hate apple so much just go out and write one right now? Imagine all of the people who would love to make mac users switch over (which is an entire other point anyway, see the next point), why don't they just all go out and write a virus. Hmm could it be that a unix file system is just a tiny bit harder to exploit?? Why the hell are you trying to force your crap on us anyway? If anything why not promote linux... oh yeah thats right I'm sure you really have no idea what that is in the first place. Go back to playing your games and studying for your classes and stop littering this forum with meaningless posts that everyone is sick of hearing.