xisto Community
galexcd

Get My Ip From A Remote Location?

I'm not much of a network guy, so I'm asking for help from all of you Xisto techies... I've got a network drive that can be accessed via ftp over the web but the only problem is I've got a dynamic IP address. At first I would just bookmark my IP address every day when I came home with my laptop but is there an easier way of getting that IP address?Thanks

Yes I want to get my network IP when I am not on my home network. I'm not quite sure you linked the right thing for your desktop widget because it seems to be a theme?

A few years back one of my tutors pointed out to me there was a program that will run on your local machine. It will get your ip and send it to a server. this server will hold a url name you sign up e.g yourname.dynamicip.com so all you would need to do is type in that url and it will automatically redierect it to your IP address. I cant reemember the name though its been a long time.

[hr=noshade] [/hr]
I think this is it http://www.dnsexit.com/Direct.sv?cmd=11

I'm not quite sure you linked the right thing for your desktop widget because it seems to be a theme?

It's a SuperKaramba theme, yes. You need an operating system that supports KDE, unless you can find an alternative for Windows that provides the same information that my widget does. But it seems i misunderstood what you wanted, so nevermind.
The only other solution i can think of is http://www.noip.com/

Well I don't exactly want to register a domain name for this and both of your solutions seem to require this. This is only so when I take my laptop to my university I can access the network drive plugged into my router via FTP. I can access this by typing in http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, but the problem is I have a dynamic IP address that likes to randomly change every other day and it makes it very difficult to keep track of.

By the way @ truefusion, I'm running a mac, but I also dual boot ubuntu. But I would never run that horrid OS that shall not be mentioned, that you assumed I had.

register a domain name for your IP address .....you can get a free account at DynDNS..then use a dynamic DNS update client to update your DNS automaticallyyou just have to remember the domain name...whenever your IP changes, the update client will register it automatically.

Edited by klusk (see edit history)

register a domain name for your IP address .....you can get a free account at DynDNS..then use a dynamic DNS update client to update your DNS automaticallyyou just have to remember the domain name...whenever your IP changes, the update client will register it automatically.

This is a great solution! although there are easier ways.... i notice your sig says you are a very adaptable programmer to many languages.... i'm sure you would know a solution then? oh well.... here's a decent one:

If you leave your computer in idle at home (on, with a low power state) you can create a simple php script and redirect itself to the same page every hour or so (leave a web browser open on this page). In the page, have it use the fopen() and fwrite() command to write the $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'] (your computer's ip) to a log file every refresh. once this log file is getting very large, simply clear it via FTP and upload a blank one, or with fwrite, use "a" so you can simply pop open FTP and delete it, and the next hour it will create a new one and start writing your ip to it again. then all you have to do it simply type in the url to the script's log file (like http://ww38.yoursite.com/iplog.txt) and view the latest one!

hope this helps!

I have a Wacky idea for this , in your home computer just set an email client which sends email from your system to some mail account ( say xxx@yyy.com ) regularly (Time can be set according to your convenience) , So now when you are outside , what i mean is when you dont have physical access to your computer just go and check the mail ( at xxx@yyy.com ) .The email client from your system must have mailed you and all you need to open that mail, give show all headers , and if you see carefully you can see something as "Originating IP:" Check that one and that IP address is the IP address of your home system, use that connect through FTP to your home system inorder to access the network drive.Though this is not an apt technical solution this will meet the requirement which your need.