xisto Community
smithy500

Persuasive Argument

I want wireless but my mum keeps making up excuses for us not to get it: It can be hacked orthe waves affect your brain. what a load of rubbish. I would preferred wired but she won't let me make a hole in the wall anyone know any suitable arguments to persuade her?

no i don't! wireless sux unless your using a laptop, then it's a little better!Sorry, but, I have to tell you, your mum is right about both things, especially the hacking; its called bandwidth stealing and anyone within a block or so of your house, with a computer can get on the internet for free by using your wireless system. You mum is smart:) you should listen to her:)

Edited by Archangel_Baw (see edit history)

Well your wireless system can only be accessed with a password if you desire it. When you install your wireless network you decide the security parameters you want to go with. Public, Secure Wireless or Secured Connection (protects with password both wired and wireless).

Edited by bertman (see edit history)

Its true wireless can be hacked but there are many different levels of encryption. Not every body is going to have a hacker living near them to hack into their wireless network and if you do you will want to pust very long passwords and use the highest encryption you have available. This will atleast make it very slow and painful for them to hack into your wireless network. Now the effects of wireless networks affecting your brain I dont know. It probably does to some level but who knows what effect it has on us. If theses are the only reason your mum wont let you get a wireless then its not that good IMO. If you cant put holes in your walls then just run a long cable to your router/modem and get some nails with plastic cuppling to nail it into the base of the walls to keep it nice and neat. Thats what I do with one of my wired connections you dont have to put a hole in the wall but you can still have wired internet just means more money for longer cables.Theres no reason not to be able to get a long cable if your mum wont let you do that lol I feel sorry for you.

no i don't! wireless sux unless your using a laptop, then it's a little better!

I use wireless on both desktops and laptops and there is obviously no difference. Wireless was an obvious option for the desktop in my house due to the fact it gets moved around a lot, and is always quite a long way from the router. Cabling would have required ripping up carpets, floorboards and ceilings, or going all the way through my house, which would cost a lot more than a wireless card. There is absolutely no problem using wireless. However, with that said, a wired connection is better.

Sorry, but, I have to tell you, your mum is right about both things, especially the hacking; its called bandwidth stealing and anyone within a block or so of your house, with a computer can get on the internet for free by using your wireless system.

The only way anyone will be able to gain unauthorised access to a wireless connection is if the owner hasn't read the manual that came with the router. WPA-PSK2 is very secure and available on all modern hardware. Then you can enable MAC address locking - only devices on a list of approved MAC addresses will be able to connect. Finally, enable wireless isolation. That separates the wireless devices from the wired devices, adding that extra level of security.

As for the health issue - no-one knows. However, with all the radio waves flying around from mobile phones, GPS systems and the like, it's not exactly going to make a vast difference adding a wireless router. Remember you can always switch off the wireless when you are not using it. For example, during the day if no-one is at home, or at night if you're all asleep. That adds security and reduces any health risks (if they exist).