xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
stevethedog

Moved Home And Now Can't Connect To The Internet Virgin broadband

Apologies if there is a standard thread for this that I am missing, had a wee look and couldn't spot one.I’ve got broadband only through Virgin Media. It was working fine via the RJ45 at my old flat (USB wouldn’t work for some reason).I moved house and they cut off the connection to my old box and told me that they would send a new box of broadband goodies. This arrived on Friday so I hooked it up, called Virgin and activated it. This went fine as the cable light on the box went solid green. Once connected to the pc the pc light on the box was flashing green.The PC knew that it was connected to the box and was receiving a signal however it could not send anything and I’m unable to get online.I tried using the new RJ45 that they provided but I still had the same problem. I called virgin back who after much fannying about put me through to their tech team who were no help. I told him that when I connected it up to my old box which no longer had a signal (and they said they could not reactivate) the pc light was solid green but tech said it is supposed to flash which I doubt.They ended up blaming my drivers although my pc says that they are still on there and fine. Tech were going to give me another number for a more expensive tech line or advised me to call another computer support line.Any suggestions?Cheers

hmmmm... lousy tech support :)

Hey steve type this ing 192.168.1.1 or http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and that should put you with ISP menu for your router and see if you can change any settings such as releasing your IP address, renew IP address, also did you update the firmware at all? If not I would call the tech support and ask them if they have any current firmware updates for the router.

Usually a connection is lost if your firmware isn't current, and other then that I would assume that you done the unplug everything wait 5 minutes and then plug your cable into the router, the router to the computer and then turn the computer on?

Hopefully that gives you some idea's where to solve this problem.

I would also suggest doing what saint michael said. Check out the settings on your router. To manually release or renew ip, of course you could always just cmd>ipconfig /release (renew). Also make sure there aren't any updated drivers from Virgin's website for your model. And by the way a blinking green light is usually indicative of normal activity on most networking devices. Also double check your tcp/ip settings to ensure you have dhcp set up and the appropriate gateway if your using a static ip.