xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
pop

Negative Credits It is not good idea

Minus credits  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello dear XistoI can see that you have this thing called negative credits. When i don't post on forums that many then my credits go in minus. So when i am not on forums then credits drop below 0 and continue to go below zero. I was looking for good post to post, but me couldn't find good post on whole forums. I understand that you need credit to be hosted, and that is cool, but why don't you just suspend my account when i come to 0, and then leave it suspended, but don't count down in minus, because it is not good idea to go in minus. If you go my credits in minus then i need find some topic, and force my self to write something but then it looks like i am spammer, but i am not spammer.I will put poll on this topic, and you will see people will agree that minus credits is not good idea.Thank you for your understanding.

Negative credits seems like a good idea to me... They need to ecnourage you somehow, to write regular, and quality posts... And besides, negative credits also count how inactive you are, and when you reach a certain ammount of negative credits (-30 I think), you account is deleted... This is a free host, and resources are limited... They can't just give away space, and get nothing in return... The least we can do is provide quality content, and post regularly here... So, for me, negative credits are a good idea... I would have done it the same way...

They need to ecnourage you somehow, to write regular, and quality posts...

this is not encouraging, this looks more like forcing users to write posts and that is not cool at all. i think Xisto can be much cooler and lot less evil (in google slogan evil meaning, not real evil meaning) if this credits don't go below zero.

And besides, negative credits also count how inactive you are, and when you reach a certain ammount of negative credits (-30 I think), you account is deleted... This is a free host, and resources are limited... They can't just give away space, and get nothing in return... The least we can do is provide quality content, and post regularly here... So, for me, negative credits are a good idea... I would have done it the same way...

you don't understand. we are hosted on same servers. even if it says to me that i have 500 megabytes of space, i did not spend those resources until i really have 500 megabytes of space full on my account. this is just a limit notification. so even if my account is suspended i don't waste any space to other members.

first vote was Yes, and My vote is NO!!

this is not encouraging, this looks more like forcing users to write posts and that is not cool at all. i think Xisto can be much cooler and lot less evil (in google slogan evil meaning, not real evil meaning) if this credits don't go below zero.

No one is forcing you to do anything... This is just how things work... I don't think its evil, and probably most of the members would agree with me, we'll see...

you don't understand. we are hosted on same servers. even if it says to me that i have 500 megabytes of space, i did not spend those resources until i really have 500 megabytes of space full on my account. this is just a limit notification. so even if my account is suspended i don't waste any space to other members.

Your space is reserved for you, and thus, you are using it... That space is "occupied", no matter if you actually use it or not... And after 30 days, if you are not active, that means you are not interested in that hosting, and your account is deleted, and that space freed, for new users... I've been using Xisto hosting for 3 years, and yes, sometimes it has been a little difficult finding inspiration to write quality posts, but I did it anyway... Because I like this service, and I like this hosting, and I want to contribute... Let's face it, you won't find a free web host, with no ads, that will give you so much, as Xisto did, and all they want in return, is a few quality postos every once in a while... If you find it difficult to post, then why don't you switch to Xisto.Net, they offer same hosting as Xisto.com, only with text ads on the bottom of the page... And you don't have to post in the forums...
So, once again, I don't think this is forcing anyone anything... Would you like it more, if your account got suspended for what, 10 months, and then you just come and reactvate your account with one post? That wouldn't be fair to other members, who post regularly, would it?

Most hosts oversell there resources, knowing you won't use it. Some hosts offer 100gb's of space for the most beginner package. Well we know with 10+ members that's going to require a lot of hard drive space. Xisto doesn't oversell. If we give you 500megs of space, you have 500megs of space to use. That space is allocated to you, and we actually have that space.It's free webhosting, simply. Free is not always free, but this is as really free ask you can get, all we ask in return is a couple posts a day, there's no real reason you should go negative in the first place.

To add a bit more to it pop if they got rid of the negative credits your account won't get suspend it will get terminated, and so not only wikl you lose everything but you have to reapply. The negative credits is a 30 day grace period for you to start posting again and keep your site active, and like kubi mention they will give all this to space to use but one you don't fufill their requires they will terminate your hosting account just like that. As for being evil not even close its being smart, and as for posting there are plenty of things ot post about, heck I posted at least 15-20 topics this week alone for epople to respond to and what not. don't limit yourself to just one forum or you be dipping into negative credits every time.Of course you do have options like moving your hosting to qupis oro get a paid hosting accounting at computinhost.

I have said yes, although I believe that they should not go below 10.Therefore, people would still have to post to keep up their site, but would not have a massive backlog if they went on holiday or something like that.

If someone closed their hosting account, can they open another one without any problems ?? If so then whever you get close to -30 you just re-open your account and you're back to zero. What would make sense is after you reach zero, your account gets suspended and after 30 days your account gets deleted, but during those 30 days your credit stays at 0, so that if you start posting again you start from 0 not from a negative number.

Edited by omarsdali (see edit history)

I voted for yes, which puts the negative credits system in favor. Really, your credits should not even go below 0. As a requirement for hosting, you must remain active on the forums. That is what you sign up for when you get the account. This topic is almost like complaining for what happens when you're meeting the requirements(No offense intended!). Actually, my account has been suspended atlease six times, and I did get to -25 at one point. This system does keep members posting, and once you get to zero, you cant expect the credits to stop decreasing. Thats almost like free credits. You wait until you need your account to post, and you keep your account active without even posting. So i think its good idea. Although it would be good for if they did stop at zero, maybe my site wouldnt be down so much.

I voted for yes, which puts the negative credits system in favor. Really, your credits should not even go below 0. As a requirement for hosting, you must remain active on the forums.

oh come on, get real. even the whole credit system is not even needed for this community. ok, at first when it was in beginning, then admin Opaque got this wicked idea. now instead of moving these forums on vbulletin software which is obviusly 10 times faster then ipb, and maybe give hosting just based on reputation, as i belive xisto can afford this service to be a freebie as a gratitude to launching their buisness to new level...

installing and moving to vbuletin software, would create simpler working environment, and even better forums, and i bet there would be a great boost of members on this forums.. hosting should be solved totaly different. that would be proof that xisto didn't forget members who launched it in first place. now it looks like they are to busy doing their business instead of giving some gratitude to members who promoted this place in first place, and change few things around here so that it stops beeing so way behind on the rest of the internet forums... :)

Most hosts oversell there resources, knowing you won't use it. Some hosts offer 100gb's of space for the most beginner package. Well we know with 10+ members that's going to require a lot of hard drive space. Xisto doesn't oversell. If we give you 500megs of space, you have 500megs of space to use. That space is allocated to you, and we actually have that space.
It's free webhosting, simply. Free is not always free, but this is as really free ask you can get, all we ask in return is a couple posts a day, there's no real reason you should go negative in the first place.

sure it is allocated. space is the least problem for servers, everybody knows that. proc and RAM is the most important component. i'm just saying that what i'm thinking. shame nobody is listening. Xisto doesn't need to push users for posts! the same thing that made this forum great is now killing it. just look at the posts and read them. most of them are spam posts from users who have to write something or they'r gonna lose their hosting acc. i really don't have emotional connection to this forums, but it's funny how admins don't see what are they turning in to. shame, real shame they don't care about it...

Looking at the forums I read most, posts are of substantial quality, and on a much higher level than most other forums I've been to... So, I don't see they are spam posts... Besides, there is a horde of moderators overseeing and making shure the posts are of required quality...Saying OpaQue forgot us is very rude... He has not forgot us... He still provides full support for Xisto members... I have sent him numerous PM's regarding different aspects of my hosting, and he has always responded in the quickest manner, regardless of if I asked a question or if I had a problem...I will remind you of a great saying "There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch", or just TINSTAAFL, ask Google about it... Everything costs money... Xisto needs to pay for bandwidth used by us, they don't get it for free, you know... even though they have to servers available, someone needs to maintain them... That costs too... Spare parts, ugrading...And why would he move to vB, when IPB is working perfectly? I expect it would take agreat amount of time to migrate to a new forum engine, rewriting scripts, etc.... Who has that much spare time on their hands?In the end, if you really hate negative credits, why did you agree to TOS? Why do you use Xisto service? Because there is not a single free web host, that will give you what Xisto gives you... Hell, there are even paid hostings that don't give what Xisto gives you... Come to think of it, your posts do appear as your attempt to raise your credit count...I've been using this service for years, and will continue to do so, until I get the means to switch to paid hosting, again, with Xisto... And I won't forget the forums, and will keep posting even when I switch to paid hosting... Because this is a great community, and we have OpaQue to thank for thinking of this great way to help us...

Looking at the forums I read most, posts are of substantial quality, and on a much higher level than most other forums I've been to... So, I don't see they are spam posts... Besides, there is a horde of moderators overseeing and making shure the posts are of required quality...

it's just not the same that you have to write the post! i mean, i HAVE to write the post each day even if i don't have anything to say. mods can delete posts that are pure spam, but most post that are like "oh cool mate, i'm sure gona use this" or similar are just the same as any other spam. i'm sure that people really mean that, but then you have like 100 posts a day that are like that. it's annoying to see all those answers, and not a single constructive and meaningful conversation. :)

Saying OpaQue forgot us is very rude... He has not forgot us... He still provides full support for Xisto members... I have sent him numerous PM's regarding different aspects of my hosting, and he has always responded in the quickest manner, regardless of if I asked a question or if I had a problem...

i didn't mean he forgot to support members. i meant that he forgot his original idea. ok, i understand that he's a busy man who works a lot. my posts are not to insult but to remind him on his idea. you saw what he wrote. he said that he wants to provide good hosting. he manages that with trap. but this is not perfect. and now it can be better. people will appreciate it i can guarantee that, and he has power to do that - why don't do it!

i got few mails from trap that say we made this, we made that! even the one where they move to new, bigger location! woaha, that's great, that's awesome. so why don't ease up a bit on people here, and give even more for lot less.

I will remind you of a great saying "There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch", or just TINSTAAFL, ask Google about it... Everything costs money... Xisto needs to pay for bandwidth used by us, they don't get it for free, you know... even though they have to servers available, someone needs to maintain them... That costs too... Spare parts, ugrading...

posts are not money! Xisto doesn't earn any money from our posts. heck, even opaque himself removed adsense and banners from forums, and told that they are not needed for the forums... so it's free. but, it can be even more - psychically free - if you just think about it for a while.

And why would he move to vB, when IPB is working perfectly? I expect it would take agreat amount of time to migrate to a new forum engine, rewriting scripts, etc.... Who has that much spare time on their hands?

vB is masivly faster then IPB. i can feel the difference couse i'm member of some even larger forums, with 3k + members online that are using vB, and when i browse through it's a lot faster than ipb. i guess it's not a hosting problem since xisto is hosting company, so it can be only forums problem :D

In the end, if you really hate negative credits, why did you agree to TOS? Why do you use Xisto service? Because there is not a single free web host, that will give you what Xisto gives you... Hell, there are even paid hostings that don't give what Xisto gives you... Come to think of it, your posts do appear as your attempt to raise your credit count...

right! now it's my fault that i have an opinion and i'm talking about it. when i'm saying that this can be better, and writing post about it i'm raising credits. but if i just talk how wonderful it is, and how happy i'm about it then it's not?!

I've been using this service for years, and will continue to do so, until I get the means to switch to paid hosting, again, with Xisto... And I won't forget the forums, and will keep posting even when I switch to paid hosting... Because this is a great community, and we have OpaQue to thank for thinking of this great way to help us...

it's great. but it can be even greater. just think about it for a while...

It's very simple... OpaQue wants to have a great community, and he has that - he has us... If he woud stop asking for us to post, than this community would be dead... There would be maybe 50 of us who would still post... And sure, OpaQue and Xisto don't have direct income from the forums, but the service he provides is the advertisment for itself... Huge community has a much better ranking in the search engines, much more hits... People come here, see what's offered for free, they see Xisto - Web Hosting link, etc... They go there, and sign up... I am sure, that had you came up with the same idea OpaQue did, you would have had the same credit system that is now in efect... And noone is stopping you to start your own community and webhosting, right? I'm not saying anything is your fault... You agreed with the Terms Of Service, and those are the terms of service... I understand you are just expressing your oppinion, and that's fine by me... All I'm saying is that I completely understand why OpaQue has this credit system in effect, and that I stand by him in that matter... People are lazy when it comes to posting good and quality posts... I know I am... This is only a means of ensuring people get back here from time to time, and contribute to this community we've made... Also, he makes sure people who have free hosting with Xisto, actually care about that hosting, and care about their site... Otherwise, Trap's servers would be full of idle accounts that weren't updated in months... Like one of my first website of Freewebs, or whatever was it's name... Years after I last signed in and modified the files, my site is still there... That's called a waste of space... Keeping credits above 10 is quite easy actually... And with the amount of categories and topics, one can easily find a topic (s)he can write in, or even start their own topic... If there is not an active topic, you can always resurect one of the old topics, on pages 2,3,4... And bring them back to life, and spark another discussion... The only thing required, is a little bit of good will...