xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Deaths Aprentice

Which Processor?

Anyone know how the laptop processor types compare. I am looking to buy one a laptop for a relative, it will be transported by car and actually used indoors, so it need not be very portable, but has to be able to keep up with running a lot of programs at once. Similarly battery life is not really an issue as it will almost always be plugged into the wall. It has to be a lptop only because moving a full desktop between buildings takes too long. Any ideas?

Anyone know how the laptop processor types compare. I am looking to buy one a laptop for a relative, it will be transported by car and actually used indoors, so it need not be very portable, but has to be able to keep up with running a lot of programs at once. Similarly battery life is not really an issue as it will almost always be plugged into the wall. It has to be a lptop only because moving a full desktop between buildings takes too long. Any ideas?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have no idea actually ;) .

I don't know where you live , but if you live around holland/belgium , I would wait for an Aldi offer.

The best is just to go to your local computer store , and ask for some advise there ;)

HiAs you've mentioned it's for gaming then forget the Celeron, the 3 best CPU's for gaming are - athlon 64 - athlon xp - pentium 4you can cross pentium 4 off the list as you mention you don't want anything too expensive.oh, and what is your budget? (how much money do you have to spend on it?). if it's a really tight budget then an athlon xp 3200+ (as suggested) would be great.the xp3200+ would cost around ?90 ? i dont know what that will be in your currency (if you don't use ???'s).however, if you want your pc to last longer for an extra ?30 you could get an athlon 64 3200+ (just make sure your motherboard can take one). that would last you longer for gaming.hope this helps ;)btw, im new here, so id like to say hi.... hi! ;)

Thanks for the reply mrkill47 :).My budget lays between 100 and 200 euro.Hmmm , 90 pound would be around 140 euro , thats affordable :D.The 64 3200 + costs 214 euro in my local PC shop , and thats a bit over my budget :S.I might be able to buy it , and then use the motherboards default video card...Thanks for the help , I'll think about it :).PS Hi , welcome :rolleyes:

Thats a good one.Another note, beware of the motherboard Abit AV8. I was installing it with a friend yesterday and the motherboard does not support some Athlon64 CPUs out of the box. To get the new 90nm CPUs working you need a BIOS update. And because you can't get the thing to work you cannot update the BIOS :rolleyes: