xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Jalapeneo Poppers Yippee I figured it out

My better half just loves those cheese filled batter dipped deep fried jalapeneo peppers. They are rather expensive, so we don't get them very often. I didn't have a clue as to how to make them. But when frost came and I had to go harvest all our peppers, I got to doing some reasearch on how to make chili reno's, and read that in order to get batter to stick to those, the skins of the peppers have to be burnt off. So I figured, what the heck, lets try it with the jalapeneo peppers. I did that and got them peeled just fine. The hard part is stuffing them. I just wanted to cut a small opening, so the filling wouldn't boil out, and getting the core and seeds out was a bit tricky. Of course, trying to do it wearing rubber gloves really makes it a pain. (though not wearing gloves would make it a bigger pain, your hands will burn for hours) I had some shredded cheese that was made to not melt, I'd been wondering what to do with it cause I normally want my cheese melted on everything, so I mixed it with some cream cheese to make it ball up, and then stuffed the peppers, rolled them in a beaten egg then shook them up in a container of flour with just a bit of salt. Deep fried for about 2 minutes, mabe a little over, and boy, let me tell you, they were GOOD!!!!

omg! you are making me so hungry and i love stuffed jalepenos, but have never thought to try making them myself, i just usualy buy them from the hot case at the grocery store or from jack in the box, theres are pretty decent. Is it really worth the time and effort to do this? and why cheese that doesnt melt? is it better like that I would think you would want your cheese to melt..lol but hey, im up for trying anything like i said i love them.

A thought came to mind sheep on how to stuff the peppers, get a marinade syringe and inject the peppers with the melted cheese that way. So all you have to do is inject the melted cheese that way, and if I am thinking about this correctly if you fry them at a low heat they won't explode on you. I like some spicy food but nothing over medium, ug can't stand that kind of hotness.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Well, I don't have a marinade injector, however, in all honesty, I did consider using a microchip needle and some melted cheese in a big syringe. (yes, dog breeders are prone to coming up with really goofy ideas) Only problem with that is you need to remove the seeds and core from the inside of the peppers. The cores are pithy and the seeds and core is the hottest part. Actually, I didn't know there even was cheese made that didn't melt. We have a discount grocery place not far from us, they get all kinds of strange things in there, but it's always cheap and some of the stuff is really good. This was just shredded cheese in 5lb bags for like $6 or $7, I forget now. I didn't know it wouldn't melt until I bought some and used it. I later asked the store owner about it and he said it was made specifically for certain applications, like salad bars so it wouldn't run together under hot lights, or for chili, etc where it was used for toppings. At any rate, it tastes pretty good, not like some of the imitation cheese goop that you sometimes find when bargain hunting. They are a lot of work, that's for sure. Worth it? Well, maybe not if I was as wealthy as Bill Gates, but since I am not, and when peppers are easy to grow and I can make them so cheaply, well, yes, I guess it is worth while. The day I first fixed them I also fried the first of the chickens that I raised this summer. Raised them from eggs mind you. Now that's work! A lot more than picking up a plastic bag full of cleaned and ready to fry in the meat department of the grocery store, or if you are stone cold lazy, C. Sanders! :)