xisto Community
stevethedog

Digital Photo Frames

I've signed up for a nectar card as I'm moving right beside a Sainsburys. Whilst looking around their webby to see what I could get from it I noticed these digital photo frame bad boys.How does it work? I saw some where you just put in your memory card and I take it would flash up with all your photos that are on the card?There are some which say it can be connected via USB. Does that mean that the Frame itself has a memory as I couldn't find anything to say this on the products?What ones are recommended, they all look a tad on the pricey side but then there would be no point buying one if it didn't work.Thanking you,stevethedog

There are generally 3 ways of storing your photos on a digital photo frame.

Internal memory. This is the USB connection you mentioned. You hook it up to your PC, transfer some photos across, and they appear on the photo frame. Generally the memory is fairly limited, and changing the photos requires you to have a PC next to you.

Memory cards. Exactly the same as a digital camera's memory cards. Transfer some photos on to the card (or take it directly from a camera) and slot the card into the frame, and it should work. This allows you to effectively have an album on each card, which you can swap in and out when you like,

Wi-Fi. Some photo frames now have wi-fi capabilities and can take photos from a certain shared folder you determine. This allows you to control the frame from your PC and change which photos are displayed without messing around with cables or cards.

As for which one to buy, make sure you go and look at them before you buy. Quality varies from the downright awful to crystal clear pictures, and it would be very disappointing to spend a large amount of money on one with a blurry screen. Currys, Comet, Dixons, Tesco and PC World all have loads of them on display which you can look at, Compare the image quality and note down the make and models of the ones you like. Then search around for the cheapest price.

Digital photo frames are pretty cheap nowadays. i usually go to a normal store like target or something and you'll find it laying around somewhere

Of course what is pretty freaky about digital frames is that a lot of them are producing nasty little viruses and stuff, and once you connect your computer through the USB port, odds are you could get yourself infected with it. People speculate that it is an inside job or the fact maybe the designers are coding in such that htey could sneak in a virus or two into these digital frames. So before purchasing one of these digital frames you make sure it is clean first.