xisto Community
AlphaOfDoom

Help: Mod Install On Forum

Ok I feel really really stupid (Which I am when it comes to this) but anyway on the SMF forum, there is a package manager, you click install, and it installs the mods on the forum.However, sometimes it gives you a link, to download the mod. So yeah I download it, and it appears on my desktop as a bunch of icons that only make a million tabs appear when opened. I was wondering where in the world am I supposed to put these mods so that they will work? I have tried some things but they did nothing...Please help!Why Don't I ever get any replies!

Edited by AlphaOfDoom (see edit history)

Having the files on your desktop is no good - you need to upload them to your web hosting. I don't use SMF so I'm not exactly sure where they go, but there should be a README file with whatever mod you have downloaded. In that file you will be told where to put the files you have downloaded. Sometimes you need to edit or replace already existing files, so make sure you take a backup first.

Is it somewhere on the CPanel?

Uploading files is, yes. Look for the File Manager link and you will be presented with all the files and folders in your hosting account. If, like me, you don't like using that, then either download an FTP application or use an online FTP client to upload the files.

And would it be the same with a PHPbb2 forum?

Same sort of thing, but I am sure the paths to the files are different, so they would need to go in different places. Of course, the mods are written completely differently too, so often the instructions are a little different as well.