xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JasperIk

I Think My Boyfriend Is Going To Be Fired From His Job

For the past two months my boyfriend has been coming home telling me how people are acting strange to him at work. First his friend, and boss was eying him suspiciously and asking him questions like if he had stolen anything, or if he knew of anyone stealing stuff, or just in general knew anything suspicious. Which at the time we just assumed maybe they were asking him because they knew he didn't like to lie. However now the main boss is being very cold and rude to him. She is snappy at him, accuses him of doing things, or of not doing things (depending on the situation) and now has forced him to do a daily report of what he does everyday at work. Currently they are doing a clean up of people at the work, and a clean up of projects that need to be done/don't need to be done/were never done at all... and because he is *now* in charge of some of those projects, he is being blamed for them not ever being started/finished, even though the projects that aren't finished were around before he took the job, and he was never told of them, it was someone else's responsibility to do them before he went into the projects. To boot I have seen his daily report, and while he does everything he is supposed to, he ends up also doing other people's jobs, because he knows if he doesn't do it, no one will and it will eventually land on his lap because he is right above the people who are supposed to be doing the things. Then there is the fact that he has worked there almost five years, and someone who has only worked there for two is being paid almost as much as he is- that in my opinion is very unfair, they have the same schooling, the only difference is my boyfriend is not related to the boss, like the other person is. The other person ALSO just sits around all day, and talks about non work related stuff, and gets maybe a quarter of what my boyfriend gets done each day. He started to get really worried the other day when people were calling his extension and asking him if he was okay, as if they knew something they thought he knew, but he really doesn't know. He is pretty sure he knows who is telling lies about him, but she is so far up in the ladder of the company, that to bring her down, is pretty much impossible, especially since everyone seems to like and trust her. I mean if he does get fired, i think it will cause the company more problems, but I'd prefer him not to get fired because we need the money right now, and the next job he will be having will be out of state, so he needs to stay at this job for another four months, but honestly I don't think he will be staying that long, with the way people are treating him. And he's sick right now, but because he is so afraid of losing his job, he refuses to take a couple hours off of work, just to see the doctor. I just think for almost five years of working there, and for him never letting them down- to be treating him so coldly is not right. (By the way, the fact that he is leaving i don't think has a lot to do with it, because this has been happening since before he told them he was going to be leaving/moving out of state).

Well, I can't tell you he is or isn't getting fired because its impossible to tell. However, I do know that it is against the law to give your family a job, of lower quality, and pay them higher, just as it is for races. I also know that you cant give your family a high quality job because its family, you have to give it based on their qualifications. I'd look into that if I were you, because I'm sure you can take some legal action against that. But then again, if somebody is telling lies your boyfriend needs to go to his manager or something and say you know what, the way you are treating me is pretty crappy, and I demand to get some more respect around here from higher authority and for people to stop saying crap about me, and if it continues I say just quit. I mean, its not worth it trust me. But, your boyfriend should definatly get more benefits to his working because he hasworked their longer, i don't know if its a law, but its common sense, and most businesses do that anyways, if your boyfriend can work overtime, do it, come in earlier, whatever it takes to get the manager's attention, wether it be 10 minutes early and leave 10 minutes later, it'll work, he'll get paid more, plus it'll show hes commited, thats probably the only thing I can say if he actually l ikes this job and wants to keep it and hopefully get a higher position then hes in. Even as a football player, if you come early to practice, usually you will get at least like a minute more gametime, but ifyou think about it, thats at least like 10 plays, which is pretty damn good. In this case, he gets paid for overtime, plus it shows the manager he has respect for the company and will show he is loyal and doesn't plan on leaving anytime soon. edit: (just read the last comment)If he is leaving, just tell your boyfriend to tell it to them straight. Expecially if hes leaving, make sure he does it maturely (because I don't a lot of the time) and it shows hes responsible and they just screwed themself over. I have no idea how old your boyfriend is, im thinking around 19-25 or so, because most businesses like it or not put too much pressure on them.

If your boyfriend were to be fired, then I'd like to know under what grounds. Companies can't just go around and fire people without a reason, if they did you could take them to court for unfair dismissal. If your boyfriend has any good friends in his job, then he can ask them what everybody thinks of him or what someone has been saying about him.All I can say is good luck and hope everything goes okay.

Yes the company does have to give a reason for his dismissal if he does get fired ( I hope he doesn't!). If your boyfriend really is working as hard as you say he is then he shouldn't be too worried. However I have had friends fired from their jobs when they also worked hard. The company had nothing against them but they did have to cut employees to keep up the profits. The most likely canidates to be fired are the ones that have the least amount of experience in their field and in the company. If he is more towards the members who have been in the company longer then he probably has a good chance to staying, at least until 4 months. People acting rude to him in the work place, or suspicious is rather strange. It could possibly be that they are worried about what someone else said about him. Forbid that someone has spread rumors about him but unfortunatly some people never seem to grow up from their middle school/high school years. The best thing to do is try to finish those projects, get in those daily reports, and keep at it for as long as you can. There is no sense thinking about being fired, because I know people who felt they were being fired and simply cut back on their work with the "I'm going to be fired anyway" attitude. As for someone who does less work then him getting more pay because they are related is the companies choice. Although it is unfair and stupid to do (considering they are losing the maximum amount of profits) companies still do it. Depending on how high up the related person is on the ladder, is how much the slacker is being payed. There is being paid. There is not much you can really do sadly, but it still is an unfair advantage. I do wish you the best of luck, and your boyfriend. He sounds like an honest, hard worker and he should at least be able to stay for four months. If you feel that you are garunteed to be fired before that four months you might want to try and find him a "side" job. Although the pay may not be as much if you get enough to hold out till you move you should be ok. However I warn you! If a job sees you scouting for other jobs that does not look good for you and they may fire your boyfriend sooner then you expected. So you might want to keep it on the DL. Again best of luck!-Jester