xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chassidydawnn

Irish Setters Bird Dog Training

Does anyone know how to train an Irish Setter to bird hunt by ourselves. My husband really wants to use ours for hunting but we arent sure how to do it! The training schools are extremely expensive any ideas please help

Does anyone know how to train an Irish Setter to bird hunt by ourselves. My husband really wants to use ours for hunting but we arent sure how to do it! The training schools are extremely expensive any ideas please help

Wow, gun dog training is becomming practicly a lost art. I have seen a lot of books on the subject though, I'm sure with some library or internet reasearch you could find some that would be useful.
I had an irish setter when I was a kid, he was a great dog. You hardly ever see them anymore, I haven't seen one in years, used to everybody had one. Do you know if your dog was bred from actual hunting/working bloodlines? It would make training a great deal easier if he was from actual hunting lines and not show or pet lines. So many breeds today are far removed from their original purposes.