xisto Community
AlphaOfDoom

Hosting Help

Ok I was wondering if I could add a message board (forum) to my site? Like the 1 we are in right now, just like this. All the same options and everything....and I see, in the manual,:

Overview
This function allows you to add a bulletin board to your site. This board can be used to discuss things such as products, help, current events, or anything else you wish users of your site to be able to discuss.

Steps

1 To access Bulletin Board Setup, click on the icon above the words Bulletin Board on the main screen of your cPanel interface.

2 Place the board administrator username in the blank field next to Admin User:

3 Place the administrator's password in the bank filed next to Admin Pass:

4 Enter the url you wish to install the bulletin board to in the blank field next to Install at this url:

5 Click on Install to set up the bulletin board.

Troubleshooting

To remove or upgrade a bulletin board, select its name from the drop box below the function, and click on the upgrade or remove button.

I was wondering if that is the forum ?
But there is no icon in the Cpanel with this. Can you please help me? And give me information related to my question...

In your Cpanel, there is a section towards the Bottom for using "fantastico" which is a script installer. In the fantastico, there are several 'Bulletin Board' scripts to choose from. PHPBB is a good one from that list.

Alright, thanks for your help, I am rather new to this.And, there is PHP, which I am quite familiar with, but what is SMF?Edit: Ok I see, just wondering is the forum here run on Php or SMF, or something that only this forum can have and no one else? Cause it seems this forum has cool features ..

Edited by AlphaOfDoom (see edit history)

SMF is just another forum, interestingly enough the SMF mods are easier to install as it don't require you to edit too many files. Just need to run the installer through the forum and your set, but some mods won't work on particular forums, however the installer will let you know about that.

Edited by Saint_Michael (see edit history)

Thats a matter of opinion I would say try them both out, install mods for either one and see which one you are most comfortable with, of course if you really want to go hardcore try out AEF forum (have to install that yourself), or if you got the cash purchase IPB as that is the elite of forums that are on the market.

Ah well Im just going to try PHP first....

Edit: What's this all about:

The installation can not be completed:
- You chose to install in the main directory of the domain sherwoodinfo.trap17.com, but there are conflicting filenames, therefore we can not proceed. Following filenames already exist in the main directory of the domain sherwoodinfo.trap17.com (path="/home/alpha/public_html/").You must manually remove these files before proceeding with auto-installation:
images

Click on the browser's Back button to fix reported errors.

you have a conflicting filename in your public_html folder.usually, software is installed into its own folder, like /public_html/forum/ for your forum. It makes things easier to sort out and avoids conflicts such as you just had.