xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mc05w37

Help! Php Or Just Html? i want to start buliding my website. which is better, php or basic htm

i try to start this topic in webhost category but it seems like i cant. i dont have the permission so i just post my topic here. im sorry mod..i want to build a website which contains:- Links to videos- Informations- photos- flash i don't know if i should use php or just HTML. guys, what are your opinions..??

well, html would be fine, unless your having people upload videos and photos and info. as for flash, well, if its just flash games, the html will work, but if your site is going to be in flash, then you need to script parts of it in flash, which can be added into html or php scripts.

Php is like a command line but HTML is the display line. Erm, php is also abit server-side or to say it's server-side however HTML is different. It tells the browser how to display it, nothing much to do with servers (however, i think HTML forms does so, along with PHP commands)

Edited by OneMinute (see edit history)

Hmm If you just want to build a site quickly and not be too concerned about doing many updates often then html and javascript will do fine. You will build it quicker with just html and javascript but if you want to do more complex things then having PHP gives you abit more control. Theres many languages to learn if you want to do alot of neat things in web but the core ones are HTML, Javascript, CSS if you have time learn these first.

If i were you, i'd be more inclined to use PHP. As the web is moving towards 2.0, its better to have dynamic content and it is more future proof. Plain old html is boring and dynamic content is what is interesting to people and what will give your site the edge when compared to other sites. I recommend that you install Joomla (free content management system) and use it to make your website. I'm currently using it and it works great! It is completely customizable and you can change everything about it. But not only that, but it is very powerful and will allow you to do pretty much anything you want with it. Do a google search about it and make up your mind as to whether you want to try and do something like that. However if your site is only really simple, i would probably just use html because it would be easier. joomla is better to use if you're thinking of having a lot of content or at least a fair bit and you want a better way to manage it so it doesn't all just get lost. You can archive and whatever in joomla so i still think its your best option

For what your asking you just need basic html to set everything up, however, if you want ot make your site more dynamic then php will help you along the way. On the other hand, if you want to really get creative with your website, implement ajax to make your site interactive and what not. Of course, there is like thousands of scripts out there and so you have to be careful which ones to choose so not to leave your site open for attacks; usually you don't want to build your site around scripts made from tutorials. Since all the code is out in the open and thus vunerable to script kiddies, but again knowing how to properly secure your scripts will cut down on the attacks to your site.

If you need dynamically created webpages, PHP is the way to go, but as was previously mentioned, if you're just displaying things in a set way, HTML is enough. I usually use PHP anyway though to generate the page layouts; this way, if I choose to change the design of the site later on, I only have to edit one file which contains the function to generate the layout. It's MUCH easier than editing hundreds of files of HTML. Also, you may choose to add some more advanced functionality to your site later, and having it already coded in PHP will preven you from needing to rename all your files.If you know PHP, I think it's beneficial just to use it. It's much more powerful than HTML.

For who PPL still has the question

PHP & HTML

What is php & html

All you know and have heard lots of time php is server side and html is client side language. But if it is still not clear to you then take it easy and just read the following -

All you know you need a browser to view any website. Do you know what the browser do? ans. it got html code from the address and present the website according to html code. But browser do not understand php. This is why u need a php server where you will host file. php sever generate html code for browser.

Note: html is simple to code.

Why php?

Although html is simple. you need some time php. Like - you need to change view and staffs according to user action. As you know html is static and it is same to all user whatever the user interact.

# coding with php is difficult then html. So when u can code with html don't go for php.

Edited by raqib (see edit history)

you may need a php script for a contact form on your website...HTML is enough is you don't need any dynamic updated content on your site.I suggest you to use a cms like wordpress, it's easy to understand and is very good for a website with updated content from time to time...php is not a need when you have a very easy to manage cms also with lots of widgets.

As long as you don't want the page to change itself, or for people to be able to edit or upload to it, HTML would be fine.but you may find that PHP would be easier, then, if you ever do want to make uploads and editing etc possible, its just putting in some PHP, rather than re-making the site.