xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
galexcd

Dimensions And Time Travel My theories

I'd like to first start out by writing a little about this topic. First off, if you didn?t read this topic ALL THE WAY THROUGH, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT POSTING BELOW. Secondly, I?m sure what I?m about to write here has probably been thought up by many scientists and mathematicians, but I would like to emphasize I did not get these theories anywhere. I personally came up with every single one of them through my own logic.

I have been thinking of this for 3 years and a few months ago decided that I was going to post it on Xisto, so here I am. This post is so significant for me I even waited for my 500th post to post this. This is officially my 500th post on trap and I hope it?s a good one!

Unlike my ?Earth is flat? topic, this is NOT a joke, and it is what I seriously have been trying to figure out for some time. Please post your criticisms and ideas on how either I am right or wrong below.

Ok now that I got that out of the way, I shall begin my theories:

[hr=noshade]

[/hr]

I used to wonder what exactly the 4th dimension was. I didn?t understand it and I was even more confused when somebody told me that the 4th dimension was time. I did eventually figure out how it works by looking at the comparisons between the 3th and 2nd dimensions. My theory (even though I?m sure lots of people already came up with this) is that a dimension is infinite ?instances? or copies of the dimension 1 less than it.

For example, the 2nd dimension has width and height, but the 3rd dimension has depth, which would be infinite second dimensions lined up. I like to imagine infinite stacks of paper making it into a cube, or 3 dimensional object.

So this brings in the question of the 3rd to the 4th dimensions. This would mean that there are infinite 3rd dimensions in the 4th dimension, which is why to us in the 3rd dimension, the 4th represents time. Just like if we were living in the 2nd dimension, 3rd would represent time. I believe we are actually moving through all these instances of the 3rd dimension. For example, picture a stack of papers again. Let?s say we are 2nd dimensional organisms and in 1 instance of time, we are living in 1 paper, but then we are moved onto the next paper in the stack. If only we could some how get out of that stack of papers and move forward in the 3rd dimension, we could easily travel through time.

I believe this is how one would travel through time in our dimension. Not black holes, worm holes, or any of that. I believe that if we can somehow get part of us into the 4th dimension, we could very easily move to another ?instance? of the 3rd dimension.

Now my theory on paradoxes. I understand the theory behind how a paradox works, you go back in time, and the fact that your very existence is in a place that didn?t have you before would theoretically destroy the universe. BUT, if my theory of how dimensions work is true, we would move ourselves from instance to instance leaving past instances empty. Thus going back it time we would be in an empty plane of the 3rd dimension, no world, no life, but also no paradox would occur.

Now finally I just want to close with my last theory. Imagine the 2nd dimension for a second. Lets say I am living on a 2 dimensional plane, I can only see along the 2 dimensional plane, I can not look in a direction to see the other instances of the 2nd dimension around me but they are physically so close to me that If I was able to all I had to do is move an infinitely small amount of distance toward the other instance of another dimension and I would have traveled through time.

That being said, there is another instance of the 3rd physically so close to us but in a direction that we cannot see. All we need to do is find something that can bridge that gap and we could physically move between instances of the 3rd dimension.

These are my theories, as I have said, and no I have no physical proof of it, I don?t think anybody does, but I spent a long time formulating them and I hope you think of the world differently now.

P.S. 500th Xisto post! Horray for me

I believe this is how one would travel through time in our dimension. Not black holes, worm holes, or any of that. I believe that if we can somehow get part of us into the 4th dimension, we could very easily move to another ?instance? of the 3rd dimension.

Okay I don't mean to offend your theories by saying this but I'm typing off the top of my head here so if I get a detail wrong it's probably me knocking the rust off.

Edwin Abbot: Flatland late 1800s' I think, Boyia was a splash in tea circle conversation.

Rudy Rucker: The Fourth Diminsion, Infinity and the Mind, Mind Tools

Robert Heinlein: And he built a Crooked House, Stranger in a Strange Land, many others

Madline l'Engle: A Wrinkel In Time (series)

Martin Gardner

I could go on

http://www.tenthdimension.com/flash2.php?noflash=1

Okay,

I've been over this one for purposes of a game ruleset that incorporates timetravel.

I'll mention this and see what you think.

In Stranger In a Strange Land

Mike the Martian (you grok?) sends an object into the 4th dimension in the middle of the room while surounded by cameras.

No matter which cameras film was looked at, the object always appeared to get smaller, and smaller. Even when the cameras were directly across from each other.

Let's call that direction kata (from Rucker) and then we know by analogy that there must be an opposite direction from kata. Rucker called it ana.

That's a way of conceptually pointing to the 4th spacial dimension.

That is "Not" the dimension of time.

Time seems to be something of a monopole.

It only goes in one direction.

Also let's call your model a book.

Where "Is" that book?

Too much?

I haven't even touched paradoxes.

Maou

Now my theory on paradoxes. I understand the theory behind how a paradox works, you go back in time, and the fact that your very existence is in a place that didnt have you before would theoretically destroy the universe. BUT, if my theory of how dimensions work is true, we would move ourselves from instance to instance leaving past instances empty. Thus going back it time we would be in an empty plane of the 3rd dimension, no world, no life, but also no paradox would occur.

Now finally I just want to close with my last theory. Imagine the 2nd dimension for a second. Lets say I am living on a 2 dimensional plane, I can only see along the 2 dimensional plane, I can not look in a direction to see the other instances of the 2nd dimension around me but they are physically so close to me that If I was able to all I had to do is move an infinitely small amount of distance toward the other instance of another dimension and I would have traveled through time.

That being said, there is another instance of the 3rd physically so close to us but in a direction that we cannot see. All we need to do is find something that can bridge that gap and we could physically move between instances of the 3rd dimension.

This continues to naggale at the back of my thoughts all day.

Quite intresting stuff really.

Okay then,

Your second quoted point first. (say "That" sentence three times fast and see if you still know what I mean...)

Heinlein used a gyroscope that was pushed "inward/kata" on all three axises.

"The Number of the Beast"

It's 6^6^6 or six to the sixth and again to the sixth.

In the story it was the number of Universes available.... at first.

Now the paradoxes.

I don't understand why the Universe would choose to act this way.

I defently don't see how the Universe would cease to be.

Then in moving back into nothing,...

I suspose that answers the directional nature with a possability but what about Uncertinty?

The Observer affects the Observed.

This is almost the old "If a tree fell in the woods....." but backward.

This is anonamous,

I came across it in Russels "History of Philosophy"

There once was a man who said God

must find it increadably odd

to find that this tree

continues to be

when there's no one about in the quad

and the reply;

Dear Sir your astonishments odd

I am always about in the quad

that's why this tree

continues to be

it's percieved by

Your faithfully

God

Sorry not to wait awhile but like I said....

It's like having a bad song stuck in your head all day.

Not saying your theorys are bad (quite the opposite) but that sometimes it's hard to shake it.

So it seems that yes, I do see the world a bit diffrently

Maou