xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
soleimanian

How To Show File Extensions

How to show file extensions in windows XP

With this you can change extension of some files, be careful!

1- In My Computer select > Tools > and then Folder Option

2- Go to View tab and unmark "Hide extensions".

3- Click OK to show file extensions.

Note: when you rename files, be careful to type file extensions too.

I would only recommend this action for the experienced user, i had a client that did this and couldn't open any pictures they had renamed.If you want to change the file format of a txt document open it in not padclick save asselect file type as all filesthen type filename and required ext.This is really helpful when creating .BAT files and other shell related command scripting.

I love this feature, helps so much for my programming and cuts tons of time off so I don't have to open it up and save it again. It's also great for files that can be used as zip files but named something else, definitly a very useful feature.

I have file extension shown for a couple of reasons, it makes file management easier, you can easily see what a files extension is and therefore where to put it etc..also i think it adds a bit of security, as a virus program could easily use the microsoft word document icon as its program icon and therefore look like a DOC file but when you open it its actually an EXE and youve just destroyed your computer.This was the way, i think, that an old email virus got around, it pretended to be a text file or something. Not sure of the details though.And it really makes renaming files easier, you can easily change a files type, for example trying to upload an image in an unacceptable filetype you can usually just change the extension and the website will accept it. Or when sending EXE's over msn you can change the file extension to .TXT and get your friend to change it back again Saves the effort of zipping it all.Though i agree if youre just renaming a files name, not its extension, it can be a bit problematic when you dont enter/forget the original filetype.