xisto Community
bishoujo

My Holiday In Sinai, Egypt

Posted Image

I vsited Egypt in April this year. Although I spent only 3 days in Sinai, it left a deep impression. Away from famous tourist spots of Cairo and Luxor on the mainland, this unassuming place on the other side of the Suez Canal proves that Egypt's attractions are not only restricted to pyramids and mummies.

Sinai is known for its rugged desert landscape, where rocks and sand dominate the scenery and little life appears to survive in its deadly dry environment. But Sinai's harsh outlook belies a softer, gentler sight. After being hassled endlessly in other busy cities of Egypt, it is refreshing to walk along the streets of Dahab undisturbed.

As the place where the prophet Moses was said to have received the Ten Commandments from God, Mount Sinai is a holy place for Jews, Christians and Muslims alike.

I start my climb to Mount Sinai's 2,285m summit at midnight, coincidentally on Good Friday, hoping to catch a glimpse of sunrise over the desert. Bathed in the glow of a full moon, there is a peaceful hush that surrounds the mountain. The howling of the wind accompanied me on the four-hour trek, but it never feels eerie. The landscape is barren and rocky, but the path is wide and well-trodden from climbs by tourists over the years.

Halfway up the mountain, I even ran into a group of 30 Malaysian Muslims who are making their way to the top as part of their pilgrimage. We chat in English and I find out that most of them are in their thirties and forties, and expressed a steely determination to do the climb for their faith.

Before sunrise, I reach the summit, but it is far too cold for me to stay outside waiting, even though I was wearing 3 layers of clothing. So i huddle into a Bedouin tent (they have Bedouin guides to guide people up the mountain and some of them live up there for short periods of time) with a cup of hot chocolate and fall asleep.

By the time I awake to make the final hike up to the peak, I realise to my dismay that it is filled with 100 other people. So much for spiritual peace. I jostle for a good position among the rocky outcrops as the skies lighten. Then the sun bursts out from the horizon. Celestial hues of gold, blue and pink are gloriously mixed in the canvas of the skies. A hush comes over the mountains and everyone stops talking.

For a moment, it was as though God has come down to speak to Moses again.

How long were you there? :P

This is very interesting. I have never seen any pictures of Sanai, Egypt in my life.. until now. Thanks for sharing with us. :P

Do you have any more pictures? I hope I can go there one day; By the way you describe it, it does seem like your actually in a Bible Scene just like you said, "For a moment, it was as though God has come down to speak to Moses again." :D