xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
arnz

Mixed Response For Chaser's Apec Antics. The Chaser - Australian comedy team.

Mixed response to Chaser's APEC anticsEmail Print Normal font Large font Matthew Ricketson
September 11, 2007

THE ABC has received 266 complaints about the Chaser team's breaching of security at the APEC forum in Sydney last week.

The national broadcaster has also had 177 phone calls, emails or letters of "appreciation" for the stunt in which the Chaser team were charged by police with entering a restricted zone after driving a mock motorcade bearing Canadian flags through two security checkpoints.

Full article here.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I know it's a bit late, but I'd have to say that in this day and age it seems fear and terrorism has entered many those days to an extent that funny stunts or antics seem repressed. But have to say that one of the hosts dressed as Osama Bin Ladin was funny at first, if he was near GWB's hotel he could've gotten killed. But at the same time, some viewers have outlined their points, for example there are many that pointed out numerous times in the papers the holes in security during the world event when many of the world leaders descended on Sydney, also let alone the protesters in the near vicinity of the location. I also tend to agree with other callers pointing out that the money spent on security could've been better spent elsewhere, like hospitals, transport, addressing water issues in parts of the country, and so forth.

i say good on them for doing it. it most defiantly got the police of there *bottom*'s. lol they did many things at apec apart from that stunt

This may be a bit off topic, but since it's APEC related, might as well put it here. Recently, the members of the APEC committee mentioned that our country's national costume/outfit, the barong, was labeled as "peasant shirt". It came off as a rude comment and an insult to Filipinos since we take pride in our national costume. The barong, nowadays, is worn by public figures and also as part of an occasion. Not only that, the barong is also part of fashion and the creation of such takes elaborate care with the design and the materials used to make the cloth.

They said that it was called peasant shirt because during the Spanish collonial era, only the peasants or those who belong to the lower class wears such. But that's not the only reason why peasants wore such. This was to make ocular inspection of these peasants who might carry guns or machetes under their clothes easier. The barong usually has a thin, almost see-through layer of fabric, that's why in present, an undershirt is required so as to not make oneself look silly while wearing such garment.

I believe that the issue was resolved with the committee mentioning that it wasn't their intention to insult our country's pride by saying that. I just hope they would think first before they say anything, or moreover, learn something a little bit more before making comments that would probably irk others.