xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Really Strange Year Never heard of this happening

Here in Missouri this late spring we had a hard freeze after the trees had not only bloomed, many were well leafed out. The freeze killed all the new leaves. Not only did we loose our entire fruit crop, I'm afraid several of my fruit trees will end up dying over it. And my English walnut tree that I have been coddleing for years over bug-goat-steer attacks really looks bad, the whole top has died out on it. It just has a few random, ugly sprouts comming out of the lower part of the main trunk. Some of the fruit trees put out some new leaves on a few branches, but then they have allready all started falling off. Now, the REALLY strange thing, 2 of my apple trees BLOOMED again this past week! Pretty weird to see the fall color change in the leaves and blooms at the same time. I sure hope it doesn't end up killing them.

The weather this year seems to have been a nightmare all over the place. In the UK this summer theres been severe flooding and it's been a poor harvest too. But the spring was one of the hottest on record, we ended up with daffodils flowering more than a month earlier than usual. I do hope things are better next year...

Yeah, the weather was pretty weird here in California too. There was a frost in the spring after some rather warm weather, so lots of crops were affected, especially the citrus trees. The smoothie chain Jamba Juice actually added a "burrr charge" to certain drinks claiming that the frost had raised the price of the fruit in those drinks. My neighbor lost her plumerias and we lost a fern because the weather almost never dips to freezing, much less below freezing, around here. The funny thing is that we had more apricots this year than we've ever had before. And the oranges are blooming a little late in the season, but there's so many on the tree right now. One of the fruits is still green, but it split open because of all the juice inside. Really, really odd weather... I'm not sure exactly how this will affect our plants in the long run.

I was working out in the back of the kennel yesterday and got to looking at the trees back there, I saw tiny little apples, about the size of the end of my little finger on some of the trees back there! I really hope we get a crop next year, I'm afraid with the late bloom and fruit production it will sap the tree's strength for producing next year. I sure hope not, bad enough loosing one year, let alone 2. I'm pretty sure it did completely kill several trees, it's going to be a busy planting season next spring. Even prunning is going to be more difficult, I'm not sure which limbs are dead and which just went dormant early. I usually cheat in the fall while the leaves are still on and go around with a roll of duct tape and mark all the bad limbs to be cut off later in the winter. (lol, ah yes, yet another use for the wonderful duct tape, anybody here a Red Green fan? ) It seems the only tree crop here in Missouri that at least partially survived the cold snap were the black walnut trees. Some of those have bumper crops, though some are bare too. But that is fairly normal for black walnuts.

Is this an effect caused by Global Warming?

Hummmm......I wouldn't think that an ice storm in late spring when it was supposed to be warming would be a sign of global warming, global cooling maybe......But then, I'm not a rocket scientist either. Of course, I'm not sure even scientists are really sure about global warming. Most of you are probably way to young to remember, but way back in the beginnings of the space race, a bad crop year for farmers was blamed by some old timers as the result of shooting all those rockets into outer space.