xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
syncn21

Monitor Getting Switched Off 17 inch color monitor

i got a new computer recently and everything was fine , until one day suddenly while listiening to songs my monitor got switched off and again wen i powered off the computer and when i turned it on the monitor was ok , but again after some time the monitor got switched off and this problem is continuing for a longtime till now , i contacted my dealer.The dealer said to change the CMOS battery , i did and still the problem exists and again i contacted him and he said to reinstall the video card , i did again the problem came , and he asked to remove all the magnetic devices near by , i did all that the dealer said but still i have the problem can any one say any solutions to that ?

I think your monitor turns off automatically after a few minutes of no activity, i.e. your monitor turns off when you don't use the key board of move the mouse say for 5 minutes.

Then don't panic this is no problem with your monitor or any hardware. This is an inbuilt feature in Windows to save power by turning you monitor off when not in use for a preset period of time.

Usually if your monitor turns off, you can turn it off automatically by moving the mouse or pressing any key on the keyboard.

If you want to disable this feature then,

Just follow these steps.

Step 1: Click on the Start menu and select Control Panel

Step 2: double Click on Power Options

Step 3: you'll get the following window

Posted Image

Step 4: In the 'Turn off Monitor' option, select 'Never' from the drop down as shown in the above image.

Step 5: Click on Apply and then on Ok.

Now your monitor should stop getting turned off automatically.

If the above method doesn't work, then there must be a problem with your monitor and get it replaced.

I'm sure that the first method will work don't there will be no problem with your monitor.

I think your monitor turns off automatically after a few minutes of no activity, i.e. your monitor turns off when you don't use the key board of move the mouse say for 5 minutes.
Then don't panic this is no problem with your monitor or any hardware. This is an inbuilt feature in Windows to save power by turning you monitor off when not in use for a preset period of time.

Usually if your monitor turns off, you can turn it off automatically by moving the mouse or pressing any key on the keyboard.

If you want to disable this feature then,

Just follow these steps.

Frankly, that's what I thought at first, but I think, the author means actually physically monitor switching off (in the situation in your example the light on the monitor thould be flickering.) And also, obviously, the person who helped him also thought of that.

I think what delivi said is right. Because if it's the problem the monitor itself, power off computer and turn on will still get a monitor off status.syncn21 Please tell us about what do your monitor be when you follow delivi's way.

I have an 15" CRT monintor that would turn off at random intervals.High usage, low usage, non-usage, it didn't matter. Through some trial and error I noticed that it never happened outside Windows (for example it never turned off during the BIOS menu) and eventually I tracked it down to the monitor refresh rate.My propsed solution is to change your refresh rate to the lowest setting and see if that solves the problem. If it does you can do some trial and error of your own to find out what setting is best for you.

syncn21, you have to specify as to how the monitor turns off. Does it turn off like it would if you pressed the power button? Does the screen just turn off, but the monitor is still powered on? Is there any way to make the monitor work again without restarting your pc? This problem may be linked to the video card, the monitor itself, or overheating. Also, I'd like to know whether your computer was store bought or if you or somebody else built it. Hopefully you'll sort this problem out.