xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cmorganrhodes

Running Dog Kennel Website

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what all I could put on a American Pitbull Terrier website that I am building. I have all the pictures of my dogs and their pedigrees and registration papers. I have pictures of their puppies too. I want it to look very professional. What programs can I use to edit pictures and make a banner? I am sure I will need a good introduction and definition of my breed and bloodline of it but since the dogs are pitbull, should I express any feelings of the recent media hype? Any responses?

Hey there, first of all to create and edit images i recommend the GIMP, google it. Its a free image manipulation tool, it hasnt got the best look about it but it does work. Some people dont like this program but its the best free one i know of. If youre willing to pay then adobe photoshop is better but expensive!

Now as for content, i would suggest a full description of the breed as with the recent media attention the site might otherwise attract negative attention. I assume the dogs are legal where you are, eg theyre registered etc.. in which case clearly state this on the website! You could also offer links to other related websites and info.

You could also have a page dedicated to each dog you have, you could even make a little family tree with images of the dogs parents and of its pups if possible.

Also you could make a little blog where you write abut anything interesting or funny that happens, this will keep users coming back hopefully.

I would also express concern about the illegal ownership/importing/exporting of this breed of dog and of the recent, tragic, events as im afraid some people might just see your dogs as dangerous monsters even though im sure theyre not so by expressing concern viewers will get your side of things and hw these dogs can be good companions.

If you wanted to have many pages and the ability for users to signup and become members i would suggest using a Content Management System AKA CMS, you can find demos and such at: http://www.opensourcecms.com/ just click the "Portals CMS" Link on the left side and then go down the list that appears and look at the ratings and images of the CMS and if you want to try it out follow the links and info on that page.

If you only wanted a few simple pages then you wont need a CMS, and if yu want a free blog check out
https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=blogger&passive=1209600&continue=
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/=
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

:P

I prefer to GIMP rather than photoshop. Not because photoshop will cost some money, but I believe that GIMP generate better result than photoshop do.And why not put a live camera on your web?

Well, I am not much of a web site guru, you can take a peak at the one I made, using Front Page and the graphics were done in a resonably simple program, Photo Draw. Nothing fancy, but makes puppy pictures easy to fix up and look good. As far as media hype, DEFINATLY state your opinions there. If you don't who will? Pits are getting a terrible rap from the media, if you can present them as lovable family dogs, show lots of pictures of kids and pits, do it! They need all the help they can get.

hey there to edit the photos into a banner i would have to say use photoshop. whoever created that program is the best

you mean... adobe?

I prefer to GIMP rather than photoshop. Not because photoshop will cost some money, but I believe that GIMP generate better result than photoshop do.

Now i prefer GIMP too, but for exactly the thing you said was not a reason that you prefered GIMP. GIMP is free, and free is always better than paying for something when you get the same features, but I challenge you to find something you can do in GIMP that you can't do in photoshop. Edited by alex7h3pr0gr4m3r (see edit history)