xisto Community
Rosaline

Necessary College Things

I know for my first year of college I wasn't sure at all what I needed and what I didn't. Turns out I brought some of the necessary things, but left behind others that totally slipped my mind. Now that it's my second year, I feel like I did much better, but I'm wondering what other essentials I've forgotten. What are your favorite things that you have brought to college for your dorm living experience? So far I've found a mini fridge, microwave, and electronic tea kettle/coffee pot to be extremely useful and definitely necessary! Sometimes it's too late to go to the cafe and it's always nice to have food available for when you're feeling lazy. I heard that bringing a blender can be good, though I never have. I think one of my suitemates this year brought one, but we've yet to use it.Any tips/suggestions on what to bring? I'd love to hear what special objects you guys have found!

It used to be that a Bottle Opener was necessary (required) equipment in a Dorm, but now there are twist-tops... :P

I haven't done the whole college/dorm thing yet, but I have been on my own (kind of) in the barracks when I was active... which really is kind of dorm-like. =pI think the main things I had that I used a lot were- my computer- my TV- my XBox- my 5.1 6-dvd/cd changer sound system- my toaster/coffee maker machine- my microwave- my fridgeNot to mention the ton of food I always had on hand... so I never had to run down to the dining facility for food. :P

I lived in a dorm for one year...then an on-campus apartment for one year. I commute now 'cause it's cheaper to live at home *grins*Make sure that you get yourself a nice, sturdy backpack: preferably one that's also comfortable on your shoulders. You could have to haul that thing - fully loaded, of course - a pretty good distance every day. Across the campus...or even just across the parking lot...can be a long walk.You can never have enough light in your dorm room. Get a lamp for your bedside. Get a lamp for your desk. Get a flashlight in case the power goes out (it's happened before). Just don't bring candles. They're banned in most campus housing complexes because so many fires have started as a result of them.Even if you have wonderful roomies, you're never going to agree on every little thing. Make sure that you have a fleece throw, for example. That nifty lil' blanket is going to be very handy if one of your roommates likes to keep the common area colder than you'd prefer. Oh, and stock up on toilet paper. You'd be amazed at how quickly two or three people can go through a four-pack. :P

Nessacary Things (For Me):-A Fan-A Mini-Fridge-Ramen Noodles. Lots and lots of Ramen Noodles.-A few pots and pans-A Laptop-A small TV-A Toaster-A blanket-A blender-2 or 3 Lamps-a bag or backpact (I use jansport backpacks)-A radio with nice speakers (I use an iHome)There are other things as well, but I think those are the biggest things I need.

Edited by the-artistic-bunch (see edit history)

From what I've heard and experienced, it seems as if duct tape is one of the main things college students completely forget about. We've all used our fair share of duct tape for countless different purposes and bringing it to school is a wise idea.

Headphones. For when you want your music but your roommate doesn't.I've also found that a good pair of earplugs is nice. You never know when your floormates will decide to run down the halls screaming when you want to get some sleep.I've heard a Foreman grill is an awesome thing to have, but I haven't been able to try this out because my school doesn't allow them. If yours does, you might want to check it out.Because space is scare, one of those pillow/chair things is really nice to have on your bed. That way, you can study/watch TV from a "couch."

College days are the best days ever. Every one enjoys these days all through.I take many things in my college with me. Few important things are the:My LaptopMy Lucky BatMy XboxOne coffee maker

All my facial stuff lol because I'm very particular about the stuff I use to wash my face. I simply have to use back the same ones. And I can't just go and buy them because I'm already having to spend a lot of my own money while living in a dorm. So I simply have to bring all my facial things from home.

All my facial stuff lol because I'm very particular about the stuff I use to wash my face. I simply have to use back the same ones. And I can't just go and buy them because I'm already having to spend a lot of my own money while living in a dorm. So I simply have to bring all my facial things from home.

what is actually in my dorm?
- Bed, pillow, bed cover set
- table, laptop, charger & bag
- fan and exhaust (no air conditioner)
- clothes, handphone & charger
- lamp
- ipod
- a mini water cooker
- file, paper, pen and backpack
- plate, bowl, cup, spoon and fork
- facial toner, and soap
- soft lens and water
- towel and tissue
- my teacher with me pics
- electric extender

ok, my dorm doesnt allow any cooking, we have to go down to the cafeteria, but i find that i can cheat and use a coffee pot to cook stuff, eggs and such... really nifty when ur craving a midnight snack...one of those hanging door organizers that has all the cool pockets, comes in handy,and our bathrooms are a public use thing, so a small crate thing, to carry soap and such, is useful too...i dunno, theres so much you need, but you dont need to bring your whole room, bring some pictures but not the whole photo box, and dont stress to much if you dont have something, borrow your room mates' or steal it from that annoying jock down the hall until you can afford one for yourself..have fun in college. its a blast...

definitely mini bar fridge and kettle are essential for those midnight snacks and cravings.other must bring's to college:- plug extender, you need more than 1 electrical socket- extra desk lamp (incase the lightbulb blows)- tissues- general uni stuff, paper, computer, notebooks, pens, printer etc- clothes-hangers (i forgot to bring any in my first year and had nothing to hang my clothes on - ended up going to walmart and buying them)- a fan if you have no airconditioning in your dormthats all i can think of right now.

Just finished my first semester at university (or college, as I guess you US folk would call it...), and I'd have to say I'm having the best time of my life. While I'd definitely thought of taking half of the things suggested here, I realised that my uni accommodation, like a good few others, didn't allow things such as kettles, microwaves, mini-fridges (basically anything you can cook or cool something with) in your room. Fortunately for me my room was literally adjacent to the floor's kitchen, so I didn't have far to go to get breakfast. :)

I'd definitely agree with people who suggest extension leads (particularly ones with a whole host of sockets on them, as you can never have too many sockets). If you happen to know someone who went (or goes) to the uni you're heading to, I'd definitely suggest picking their brains a bit. By coincidence, one of my friends (a year older than me), goes to the uni that I'm now at, so I have his experience to work off. It also helps that he was in nigh-on identical accommodation to my own, so I had a lot of first-hand experience of what counts as too much to bring for your room and what are the essentials.

To be honest, the main thing is making sure you can make do long enough to get anything else that'd make living more comfortable. No need to bring the kitchen sink, but think about what you regularly use at home and so what you'd use at uni. Also, for the love of all things sacred, make sure you pack any cables you need, as a friend of mine managed to forget the power cable for their computer. Not only did they not have a computer that was working in their room, it took up a large chunk of their desk space until they first went home to get it (about two weeks in). :)

Edited by Mordent (see edit history)