xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mermaid711

The Giver Have you ever read it?

Well, recently in my Pre AP Language Arts class, we started reading a book called The Giver. At first I thought it was completely stupid and pointless but when you start to read more of it you just can't put the book down. I wouldn't recomend somebody younger than the age of 12 reading it, because it is sort of complex, but after a while you understand it.

Honestly, I can say that this book changed my oppinion on reading. I used to HATE reading. I despised it so. So now this lady is making us rad this book... Oh Glory :XD: But I am glad she has made us do this.

<<<<<<<<<SPOILER INFO>>>>>>>>>

The book is about these people who live in a community where everything is supposedly perfect, but it's purely communist IN MY OPINION. These people live in a world were no choises are made. They do not think for them selfs. They have a rule book in every house. They do not live with there birth mothers. They do not know what there birthdays are. they are promoted to the next age group in december. When they become "twelves" they begin training for their assignment. They are LEGALLY not allowed to have bikes untill they are "nines." They have "Confort objects" which are promptly taken away when children becom "Eights." Well they also release people from a community, I.E. Somebody does something just absolutely horrible, and they are no longer allowed to live in the community, or a newchild isnt delveloping properly and they are released. And the old. The oldest are released to... I still have yet to figure out what "Released" means... I hope not killed :)

The other reason why i don't think this book is quite appropriate for younger children is because Jonas has what's called a "Stirring" which is a dream that TYPICALLY involve a member of the oppisite sex without clothes on :D but anyways...

The giver=A very very good book :D

Well, recently in my Pre AP Language Arts class, we started reading a book called The Giver. At first I thought it was completely stupid and pointless but when you start to read more of it you just can't put the book down. I wouldn't recomend somebody younger than the age of 12 reading it, because it is sort of complex, but after a while you understand it.

Honestly, I can say that this book changed my oppinion on reading. I used to HATE reading. I despised it so. So now this lady is making us rad this book... Oh Glory :XD: But I am glad she has made us do this.

<<<<<<<<<SPOILER INFO>>>>>>>>>

The book is about these people who live in a community where everything is supposedly perfect, but it's purely communist IN MY OPINION. These people live in a world were no choises are made. They do not think for them selfs. They have a rule book in every house. They do not live with there birth mothers. They do not know what there birthdays are. they are promoted to the next age group in december. When they become "twelves" they begin training for their assignment. They are LEGALLY not allowed to have bikes untill they are "nines." They have "Confort objects" which are promptly taken away when children becom "Eights." Well they also release people from a community, I.E. Somebody does something just absolutely horrible, and they are no longer allowed to live in the community, or a newchild isnt delveloping properly and they are released. And the old. The oldest are released to... I still have yet to figure out what "Released" means... I hope not killed :)

The other reason why i don't think this book is quite appropriate for younger children is because Jonas has what's called a "Stirring" which is a dream that TYPICALLY involve a member of the oppisite sex without clothes on :D but anyways...

The giver=A very very good book :D

Holy crap. I read this when I was in elementary school.

I'm glad that they're still having this as part of the curriculum... it is an outstanding read.

It's been a while, but some of the things you put out are misinterpreted. I'll let you read more to figure it out. :D

I have to agree it is awesome book, loved it as a kid and interestingly enough I have a copy of it somewhere in the house. Yes mermaid, "release" means the old, criminal, and the undeveloped children are put to death since they do not serve no purpose in the perfect community.. Why do you think there is no emotion within community in this story and its the sole responsibility of the giver to hold these emotions? Because with emotion there becomes chaos and so in order for this community to survive and bide by the rules, all emotions are removed so no one can experience what Jonas did as he began his training. You can say this book is like 1984 and Harrison Bergeron, in which everything has control and order and the consequences of ones actions or life usually result in death.all three books are awesome and really get down and dirty about what life would be like when you have no control over it.

the book is crazy good i read it when i was in eight grade i beileive we read and listned through audio but i dont remember but i do know that this book is great. but i did not like the ending very much it was like a unwelcomed clifthanger to me.

Well they also release people from a community, I.E. Somebody does something just absolutely horrible, and they are no longer allowed to live in the community, or a newchild isnt delveloping properly and they are released. And the old. The oldest are released to... I still have yet to figure out what "Released" means... I hope not killed

about that you'll be suprised being realeased means that they are ??????

The other reason why i don't think this book is quite appropriate for younger children is because Jonas has what's called a "Stirring" which is a dream that TYPICALLY involve a member of the oppisite sex without clothes on but anyways...

dont know if you're there yet but i beilveive they take drugs for those stuff and the reson that he's having those dreams has to do with the name of the book.

keep reading it you'll probably like it :XD:

all three books are awesome and really get down and dirty about what life would be like when you have no control over it.

oh cool 3 books i need to check the other two then

Yeah I like this book ALOT! I have almost finished reading it in three days... I think Lois is a very good authour... She managed to change my opinion on reading :XD: because I HATED reading before this point... Anyways...But i have noticed that everything in the book is like alll communist and stuff... Like trying to make everyone the same and equal... I have no idea why because I know it won't happen, but I want Jonas and fiona to be together... But I guess they can't because he is trying to flea the community. Im on chapter 20 right now :)

i had to read this book in shool in the 8th grade too..and i read it again, in my opinion its a real good book... this book used to be my favorite along side the goosebumps series when i was younger..i always wondered what it would feel like to live in a world that they lived in..