xisto Community
tigercat

Punbb Free, Light, and Effective Forum Software

PunBB is great forum software.My friend started a forum, and he decided to use PunBB. Although I was a little skeptical of PunBB, I agreed to install it for him because he couldn't do it himself. PunBB lacks personal messaging, attachments, sub forums, easy to use BBcodes, and other features that are pretty useful. What it lacked in features, it made up for in performance. I installed Vbulletin on his site because I had a spare license for a site that was a failure, and it could not even come close to matching the speed of PunBB. It should be noted that many of PunBB's "missing features" are available as modifications. This pretty much allows the administrator to pick and choose features. Once my friend made me an administrator on his website, I realized one of PunBB's best features. PunBB has an extremely simple administrator panel. For sites that don't need a lot of specific permissions, it makes an administrator's job 100 times easier. Not only is PunBB a great software package, but PunBB is free software released under the GPL. In conclusion, I encourage anyone starting up a forum to at least install and try PunBB.

Well as for being "simple", it can also be easily exploited (the permission system etcetera).I'd recommend you use phpBB or MyBB etc, they're more known and even though they're FASTER - They will ALL go slow sooner or later, that's the way SQL is. :XD:

Well as for being "simple", it can also be easily exploited (the permission system etcetera).
I'd recommend you use phpBB or MyBB etc, they're more known and even though they're FASTER - They will ALL go slow sooner or later, that's the way SQL is. :XD:

My friend and I have not had any problems with his board being exploited. Besides, we tested phpBB, and we did not like it at all, although phpBB 3 looks like it has promise, so phpBB is going to be an option when it goes gold. I don't know much about MyBB because I have never used it.
Edited by tigercat (see edit history)

I have seen much forum software, YaBB, phpBB, IPB, and more, and I liked most the IPB and phpBB. The other ones are design-wake, features lagging and so on(there may be a nice ones, but I haven't seen such). The best option is to use the software, which is written and supported by many people. As I chosen :)

Yeah in my opinion - vBulletin has the most addons / mods directory. Good for massive expansion.Invision Power Board (IPB) has more sleek design, and average addons - Still there's a huge database for these too, so don't stop on it because I'm not pointing on anything :)phpBB - My favourite - It's OPEN SOURCE / FREE - And the mods are therefore in a LARGER disposal than the others.More mods = More Freedom = A better Board! : D