xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Matrixdudej

Unanswerable Questions

There are a bunch of questions that always bug me such as a religious question "What is the meaning of life?". Through the religious stand point we know that there is a meaning of life but..did god make us not smart enough to figure it out? scholars in religion have debated for a long time yet we have never figured it out even though we know that there is an answer. Another question that bugs me is in space..is there an end to space? if we had a rocket with infinite fuel could we just ride forever or is there something at the end the earth is round so we would keep going in a huge circle but is that the same case for space is there possibly what we call a warp-hole that takes us back to the beginning? im not sure if there really is a purpose to this topic but these questions bug me whenever i think about them so i just wanted to see what everyone else said about them.

There are a bunch of questions that always bug me such as a religious question "What is the meaning of life?". Through the religious stand point we know that there is a meaning of life but..[1]did god make us not smart enough to figure it out? [2]scholars in religion have debated for a long time yet we have never figured it out even though we know that there is an answer.

[1]We have the tools, but it's up to us to make good use of them. Some don't care, and therefore don't bother with using these tools (effectively). The Abrahamic religions also state that God's work and or creation is sufficient enough to cause this kind of thinking. But, as stated before, it's up to the person to get their mind to work.

[2]I suppose if you have a scholar from each known religion debating with each other, then of course they won't come to a conclusion as a group. Those in the Abrahamic religions tend to conclude that the meaning of life is devote yourself to God.

Another question that bugs me is in space..is there an end to space? if we had a rocket with infinite fuel could we just ride forever or is there something at the end the earth is round so we would keep going in a huge circle but is that the same case for space is there possibly what we call a warp-hole that takes us back to the beginning?

Good point. But would it require it to be as big as it is now for it to loop? I mean, if you were just going to loop it, would you go through the "trouble" of making it this big? But that would be some phenomena, looping in space, wouldn't it? Scientists would be baffled. :XD:

Theres one poster at another forum that I usually browse, which he usually asks questions that are unanswerable (For example; Qantas flying from Melbourne to Hong Kong. He then proceeds to ask, will the flight be successful? will Qantas introduce a 2nd daily flight?). Which in many peoples thoughts is a bit too early to ask! While it's good to see a few aviation and airliner nuts around, and he gets ahead of itself and is pretty much gullible at believing anything he reads those days (even on not so reliable sources such as Wikipedia).

There are a bunch of questions that always bug me such as a religious question "What is the meaning of life?". Through the religious stand point we know that there is a meaning of life but..did god make us not smart enough to figure it out? scholars in religion have debated for a long time yet we have never figured it out even though we know that there is an answer. Another question that bugs me is in space..is there an end to space? if we had a rocket with infinite fuel could we just ride forever or is there something at the end the earth is round so we would keep going in a huge circle but is that the same case for space is there possibly what we call a warp-hole that takes us back to the beginning? im not sure if there really is a purpose to this topic but these questions bug me whenever i think about them so i just wanted to see what everyone else said about them.

That's totally going into the existentionalism - I live, I know, that there has to be some meaning for me ahead, but I have no clue as to what it is.

The meaning is unique to everybody. Or there is no meaning at all. In the latter case why don't we all just commit suicide right now? I mean, we will all die anyways, what's the point of pulling the time back? If you are able to answer that question for yourself - that also answers as to what is the meaning of life for yourself.

Or you cold go to Calvinism (being atheist I prefer an example before, but I'm fine with people taking either side) and say that we are all predestined to do something, that god has all our faith lines drawn even before our birth, and all we do during our life is just approaching the final goal, and when we get there we get to a *better place* (well, or simply into an elongated wooden box 4 feet under the ground:-))

P. S. Does anyone know REALLY unanswerable questions?

Note: I am no scientist, so please forgive me if I say something wrong here. To the best of my knowledge, the below information is correct.

Another question that bugs me is in space..is there an end to space? if we had a rocket with infinite fuel could we just ride forever or is there something at the end the earth is round so we would keep going in a huge circle but is that the same case for space is there possibly what we call a warp-hole that takes us back to the beginning?

Actually, your earth analogy was pretty good. You basically answered the question for yourself. The general scientific consensus is that space (like Earth) is finite but unbounded.
Alternatively, going into more controversial territory here, it is said by some [sorry, don't have source on me right now] that as you approach the outer reaches of space the gravitational force at those locations increases tremendously. Now supposedly, once you are close enough to the limit of space, space will actually proceed to fold in on itself, sending you back travelling in the direction you were originally coming from.

No matter which of the two explanations you choose to believe, in the end there is no way for us to actually reach a physical limit to space. We will either keep looping around a gigantic sphere-like plane, or keep being steered back in the direction we came from.

There are a bunch of questions that always bug me such as a religious question "What is the meaning of life?".

The meaning of life as i know it is as follows

Some believe that the meaning of life is to "live, and live life to the fullest of its extent", now for everybody living life in full is different. So what is living a full life to you, For me it is my Wife and kids, a good job, happiness.

Some believe the meaning of life is "42", for those who are die hard "hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" fans.

Others still believe the meaning of life is "to be happy", But what would you consider happy, Money? family?

For evey one the meaning of life is going to be different, So make the most (or little) of what you have.

For me The meaning of life is to be happy with myself, and don't let people change that fact.