xisto Community
dogbolter

Insomniac Who Needs Help Falling Asleep!

If you cannot fall asleep, don't force yourself to fall asleep. You will end up getting anxious because you can't sleep, and you will end up not getting sleep. Get up and read a book, or watch some television. Yes I know some people, like Dagoth, feel that tv simulates your brain cells and keeps you awake, but that's under normal circumstances. When you are having insomnia and can't sleep no matter how hard you beg yourself to, you must do something to tire yourself out and you'll be able to fall asleep. This info is from a psychology textbook 'Psychology' by Glenn E. Meyer and Saundra Ciccarelli. I can't vouch if it works on Insomniacs, but I do realize that after playing computer games or watching tv at night, I fall asleep faster than usual because my eyes feel so tired. I guess it's also a reason why people read books in bed.Don't take drugs that are supposed to help you to fall asleep. Cos' you may grow dependent on them, and also because some drugs plunge you straight into deep sleep. The earlier stages of sleep are where you are just drifting off to sleep, to put it in layman term, it's 'light' sleep. Many sleep drugs cause the person to skip past the stages of light sleep, that's why you fall asleep immediately. But it's bad cos' your body tells you you have missed that stage of sleep and you'll feel tired the next day.

Edited by bishoujo (see edit history)