xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Codemaster Snake

[review] With Ubuntu 7.04

Well My story with ubuntu 7.04 goes like this!

Yesterday I recieved courier Package from shipit.ubuntu.com. It contained the CD of Ubuntu 7.04 latest release. I have been a Ubuntu user from past three years now. I use Ubuntu more than MS Windows. Oh gosh! I was so happy You people can't even imagine. I was so excited to install it that I switched off my computer directly without shutting it properly. Then at last I installed it.

Things that flated me out:

* For the first time I was seeing more resolution options to select from.
* The new feature like desktop effects really won my heart.
* THe package manager was more user friendly.
* Next best thing or update you can say I noted the way Ubuntu reports for the missing packages.

When I tried to play .mp3 file in the media player, which almost every one of us do usually :XD:, I was so surprised to see how Ubuntu told me that there are some missing packages which are needed to be downloaded in order to play the mp3 file. It did same for every unkown file ( for ubuntu :) ) that I tried to play from mp3 to avi, wmv etc.

It was also good to see that It downloaded those packages automatically fomr the repository and I was able to watch DVD's also. Before this I used to install mplayer for playing media. I never felt so proud before about using Linux as my main OS.

Edited by Codemaster Snake (see edit history)

I take it you have a ATI or Intel graphics card correct?I have been trying to get this to work on my laptop but my laptop but i am stuck with my nvidia gforce graphics card, i have been succesful with one of my other computers, it was running on a ATI intergrated graphics card, not a PCI-E card.So my question is how would i go about getting linux to work with my laptop, more so how can i update the drives so they work in comand line.Yea basicly i am doing this all for my server company thats opening soon and yes all my servers will be using linux and 97% of linux is all the same commands for centos, fedora and Ubuntu.If you could possablely help me out that would rock.

If you are talking about Graphics part then Yeah I have Intel 965RY Motherboard. May be the card is the reason that you are not able to get those effects.Secondly if you want to create severs then I would to suggest you that you go for a server edition of various Linux distribution. Then tell me what do you specifically want. Only then I'll be able to help

Yea, i guess from reading you cant access graphic mode inless you have the drivers installed and i guess linux doesnt support nivida drives from what i have read so i am more basicly trying to figure out how to install nivida drivers from the command promt of it.I may use centos for my servers but i am still looking