xisto Community
SamiFX

Project Management For Small Business

I want to learn Project Management so please if anyone knows a good website that can teach you project management for small business from the beginningI thank you in advanse for posting some websites :XD:

heres some, i have done project managing and the best program is actually microsoft project there are LOADS available but that one is the best if your arranging a party of some kind and are hoping to have alcohol work out how much people drink how many they have before they're drunk and undercut it, if you are arranging a party (although strictly thats event managing) learn to be a DJ as DJs are a pain :D right anyway some FREE courses

http://projectmanagementcourse.com/
not actually that good but the fundamentals are there :D

https://www.softwareprojects.com/
ive not read this one but initial look looks good :D

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
the best its straight to the point teaches you what you need to know etc :)
hope this helped
karlosantana
newbie but getting there

Useful resources, thanks for those links karlos.I've been working on my own excel+VBA project manager (task driven, with GANNT chart as output), but stopped partway through when I realised how good the freeware project managing programs are.

There was a posting recently about the Adobe Air package and through that posting, and a review of the Adobe Air site, I found a package named Agile Agenda which uses Ajax and stuff to provide a Project Scheduling/Manager system.
http://www.agileagenda.com/

The tests I have done indicate that it would be worth checking out. I used it to figure out a schedule for building a house and assigning crews to do various tasks which were interconnected. certain things need to be done in sequence, and the package did it just fine.

You will need to download a Beta of the Adobe Air, but it is free...

Project management is so important to making a good website great. We always get so many wonderful ideas, but choosing the best ideas, and then seeing them to fruition requires organization and good use of time. I still continue to try to improve in this area.

I became certified in several Microsoft applications including Microsoft Project back when it was called Project '98. Since then I have not had a need to use it so I wonder why I was trained in the first place. Probably needed to fill a seat for the course to be full or something like that because I was in IT supoprt programming phone systems and really didn't have to do much project management beyond coordinating user moves up to a hundred or so and that required only 6 installers and me to supervise. Ironic that now I should finally find a use for the knowledge and I don't even work there anymore. I know that Project is a great tool and very robust in fact it really is overkill for most people who can get along with much less. This is likely why you will find plenty of good freeware applications out there on the internet to fill the overkill gap. Besides, I don't have a copy of Microsoft Project anyway and I'm not about to buy one.I have seen the task manager that comes with outlook and it can certainly do the job on a small scale. I would really like something in between or just a bit better than task manager alone. It would be a real bonus if I could find a program that was geared towards managing the launch of a new business. I would expect more from business planning applications in this respect. There needs to be a chronological timeline to help visualize what needs to be done at a high level like milestones and what needs to be done at a low level so every day I can look and see what has to get done that day in order to keep on schedule and not affect any milestones. Simply recording strategy in point form using a completely flat file is about as far as you can go with the business planning applications I have tried. Really this is not much better than making my own word document with chapter titles made into links in a table of contents. There needs to be a way to project the time required to do things and you need to back date some things to make sure of things like making sure you register your domain well in advance of making a webaite and marketing materials so that it will be active and it is not bought by someone else and so on. I guess task manger would be more usefull if some things were added such as nesting tasks and being able to add a timeline with various views or ways to sort the tasks.Since there are so many freeware applications on the internet I thought I would rather hear from someone who has actually gone through the growing pains already and can recommend a good program that would do the things I would like to do as mentioned above.I would be interested to hear from anyone who has actually found and used freeware software for this purpose.