xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chris.p.rat.56

Questions Before I Consider Buying

Before I consider buying webhosting from Xisto - Web Hosting, I have a few questions.

1. I have read the topic located at http://forums.xisto.com/topic/50302-the-state-of-Xisto-some-things-are-getting-pretty-annoying-here/
After reading this, I am not sure whether or not I should go with you guys. I mean, Xisto is on your network, isn\'t it? Could you give me the whole story behind that?

2. What does your service offer that Dreamhost does not (my friend told me they were a great host, but I still thought I would check you guys out)?

3. You claim not to oversell. I have heard that all webhosts oversell. Can you clarify this?

1. I have read the topic located at http://forums.xisto.com/topic/50302-the-state-of-Xisto-some-things-are-getting-pretty-annoying-here/After reading this, I am not sure whether or not I should go with you guys. I mean, Xisto is on your network, isn\'t it? Could you give me the whole story behind that?

I have no knowledge of the incident that might have sent this member into the abyss they are posting from, but if you re-read the Original Posting in the topic, it appears that the issue is a result of something that occurred in the Forum that the Member was a part of. They don't appear to be critical of the Hosting, or any server issues, so let us have a look at the Forum.

From the Forum Index page as I write this posting:

Our members have made a total of 315,276 postsWe have 33,929 registered members

That's a lot of Members. The complexity of relationships are geometric according to the count of any group's membership. A partnership of two people has two relationships, a partnership of three members has six and so on, until 33,929 mambers has too many relationships for me to calculate. The point is that surely there will be some of those Members who disagree about something and it appears that the Admin's handling of an issue upset the Member who posted the original Topic.
As to the issue of the Forum's complexity, the Forum is structured in a Logical manner. It is a General Topic Forum, so the 'grouping' of Topics may appear to be random, and it certainly is a wide spectrum of Topics due to the General nature of the Forum. And growing all the time. Usually at Member's requests based on the suggestions for new areas to create Topics and Sub-forums for. Perhaps the Forum could be arranged differently, but once you become familiar with the Layout, there is a method behind the layout... Small issue to raise on such a Forum as this one.

2. What does your service offer that Dreamhost does not (my friend told me they were a great host, but I still thought I would check you guys out)?

I am not familiar with the exact Plan you may be considering either here or at the Dreamhost Hosting site, but be assured that the list of Features will likely include anything you might need for your Hosting. PHP, MYSQL, phpmyadmin, Mail accounts, Secure connections, Domains, Parking or add-ons, sub-domains, Cpanel, (and I think fantastico scripts, but check on the Xisto - Web Hosting list. All scripts on fantastico can also be added without using the fantastico services anyway) and tons of good stuff. Ruby-on-Rails is a recent addition.

3. You claim not to oversell. I have heard that all webhosts oversell. Can you clarify this?

The best measure of the 'overselling' would be congestion on the Servers. Most Web Hosting companies use Shared Servers and 'overselling' degrades the Server's response times and the presentation of the sites hosted on them. By perusing the Forums either here or at Xisto, find some sites which are Hosted at Xisto and check their response times, then check out a couple of the Xisto - Web Hosting sites. It would be best to compare apples to apples. It might not be fair to test a busy, php/mysql site against a small HTML-only site, but you get the point. Also, check out the Xisto - Web Hosting Sub-forum at the Xisto and read through the list of complaints. There are very few times when an issue is not resolved quickly and to the customer's satisfaction.
And no, I did not create this large posting reply to falsely build-up my Hosting Credits. this is a 'no credit' posting. :XD:
Simply trying to help. I have been here for over two years and am very satisfied with the Features, the Service, and the Community.

Good Luck with your site, where ever you decide to have it Hosted.