xisto Community
arza1

I Need A New Recycle Bin For Windows Xp. what do i do.

i recently had a virus and it go rid of alot of stuff. it also got my recycle bin. well kinda. the icon is still there it just wont open. is there any way to get a new one or recover it from my computer. i just reinstalled windows xp home edition and that didn't work and then i downloaded a fix to merge into the registry. but that didn't seem to work.i am also wondering if i even need it because i deleted a pic from my desktop and it said " are you sure blah blah blah" but it didn't say that it was sending it to the recycle bin. so i don't know where it went.i am just at a loss of what to do.

Edited by arza1 (see edit history)

The best method is do a system restore the day before the virus hit and it should restore everything, if that doesn't work then this document from microsoft should help to get it running again. If either method doesn't work, which I doubt, then reinstall the OS. Interestingly enough thats the order you should do this to restore your recycle bin :P.

well i don't have any restore dates because of the virus. thanks stupid virus. i tried reading and doing all the methods on the document you showed me which i appreciate.they didn't work and i just reinstalled my operating system earlier today.

i just reinstalled windows xp home edition and that didn't work

it isn't that the recycle bin isn't showing up the icon is there it just doesn't open up the bin so i can empty it. i don't even know if the files that i am deleting are even going to the recycle bin.

do you think if i bought a complete new hard drive that would work. :P i am actually thinking about it because this isn't the first time this same virus has erased alot from my hard rive. i think it was actually the win32: trojan-gen virus.

i don't know much about viruses but can they infect you motherboard or you ram or any disk drives. or is it just memory devices like hard drives and flash drives and disks.

i have avast. and it said it got rid of everything. but you never know about these things. i just hope my computer stays running long enough so i can build up the money for it. speaking of which no one answered my q:can it be harmful to yu computer not having a recycle bin. do i need to worry about that part. because i have seen other forums talking about the same thing and those people seemed a little nervous about not having one.

If you Shift+Delete, you can delete the files without moving it to the recycle bin (since just doing a plain, old Delete is just basic moving of files). But this information is probably useless now since you reinstalled the operating system.The trash bin is just a folder located somewhere in your system, just like your desktop is a folder (on some operating systems). The trash bin on your desktop is like an advanced shortcut just like the Internet Explorer shortcut (assuming you get a different right-click menu for it). So i doubt there's anything to worry.

thank you true, i have been trying to figure out if i really needed it for a day know. i search on google and didn't find anything. but know i have an answer.

i just reinstalled windows xp home edition and that didn't work and then i downloaded a fix to merge into the registry. but that didn't seem to work.

I think the best thing for you to do will be to reformat your HDD. You probably repaired your operating system n not actually a reformat 'cos a reformat would definitely wipe everything from your HDD and put a new one.

I would suggest that you backup every important thing in your hard disc and do a complete reformat. Reinstall your antivirus and update it to the latest virus definitions and then copy back your backed up data. make sure to scan every data you are copying back before copying (if on a scannable device). I believe dat should correct your roblems wth ur Recycle bin.

ok, i will try that but i don't need to back up anything important. it is already gone.edited:you wanna here something weird.i noticed that one of the other accounts on my computer had a lot of the programs that mine did not. so i had an idea. i started a new user account for my pc and made it an administrative account then deleted the old one and wallah i had recycling bin.