xisto Community
kevlar557

Looking At Building New Comp, Down To Video Card

I've got everything ready to build my new computer, except the video card, and mobo. I was looking at going dual video card, and I was wondering what you guys thing is better: Dual ATI 2900XT 512mb with Crossfire, or Dual Nvidia 8800GTX in SLI? I'm mostly going to be playing source engine games.

The rest of the comp specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4Vista Home Premium
Samsung 500gb SATA HDD
Gigabyte Aurora Case
Silverstone Zeus 650w PS
2 Lite-On LiteScribe DVD+/-RW SATA

Well, from what i hear, i think the main difference you'll notice from SLI and Crossfire is speed and quality. I hear SLI doesn't have as much quality as Crossfire but has better performance. And it's vice-versa with the Crossfire: Crossfire has better quality, but with slightly less performance. I believe the performance for the Crossfire isn't bad, but not better than SLI. Of course my sources could be wrong, but for now it's your choice: Better quality with good performance or better performance with good quality?Note: By "quality" i mean how well the image looks.

Also you have to make sure your motherboard is compatible with everything, especially the processor and the computer case; for the video card you could go either if you plan on using a dual video card. If you haven't done this already I would suggest checking out http://www.newegg.com/ that way you can do three things make sure your hardware is compatible with each other, read the reviews about the hardware your purchasing, and getting good price for them.

Well, I think the nVIDIAs are better than the ATIs in terms of performance andoverclocking capabilities. I would recommend you go for nVIDIA.

It depends on what your looking for.If your trying for a Gaming Rig, you might want to invest on a 512mb Graphics card or higher.Now a days, games are being directly imported off the new consoles (Xbox 360 and PS3)Thats why I wasn't able to play Transformers for PC on my computer.It was a very sad day indeed. =[