xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
musicfreak

How Turbo Charger Works Turbocharger

Thank you for sharing, I never knew exactly how a Turbo Charger works. Also, what is the difference between a Turbo Charger and a Super Charger? I have never attempted to figure out that myself, so please shine some light on the subject.

Super-charging is the same idea as a turbocharger but instead of using the energy contained in the exhaust stream to spin up a turbine and blow air into the intake, a super-charger uses a combination of air from the oncoming air stream and a turbine or fan driven by a belt attached to the pulley system that runs other accessories like power brakes, steering, AC, and water pump. On the front are butterfly valves that remain closed until the supercharger is engaged via a switch in the cockpit. The horsepower needed or consumed during this operation is high, though, and, from what I understand, the fuel economy suffers dramatically as a result. On the plus side, super-chargers can be sized to force much higher air pressures down the intake manifold at any one time generating a more significant increase in horsepower which is why you see them on dragsters instead of turbos. The engine can more easily withstand the stresses of turbo-charging and come more often from the factory with turbo, but there are some cars that have factory "low-profile" super-chargers such as the Buick Super Grand Prix of the late 90's and probably some Firebirds had them too. But I suspect those super-chargers didn't generate much pressure.

I'd like to thank Sean and Watermonkey for their awesome contributions to this thread. I learned quite a bit today that I've been meaning to do my own research on.Thanks to you guys, I'm not going to play the stereotypical Azn and "rice" out my car with a turbo or supercharger. :XD: I appreciate the fuel economy of my Honda Civic and am trying to improve/maintain it as much as I can.I can safely assume that a cold-air intake would stress the system in the same manner? (Of course, not to the same extent.)

Edited by rayzoredge (see edit history)

No offense to Watermonkey, but your post reminds me of Bill O'Reilly. "SHUT UP. SHUT UP. PRODUCERS, CUT OFF HIS MIC. CUT OFF HIS MIC."Anyway. I've never tried such things, since I'd be a bit afraid of burning out the engine. Too much power isn't alays a good thing.

A very informative topic about turbochargers. the good thing about this topic is that it has sources and quotes from different aspect and kind of clears everything off in the turbo chargers aspect.There is one question though i have in this regard. Do they turbo chargers have a limit of specific engines they can be put on or they can be used with any type of cars. For instance I have a 1000cc cars and a 800cc car, they both operate on petrol or gasoline you may put it. is there by any chace i can put Turbo chargers in them.Also one more thing. Can turbo chargers work in choesion with NOS. There was also something mentioned about a scoop in the hood cutting the aerodynamics but an old fashioned Turbo charger thingy, if im correct. then can you please elaborate on that?

A very informative topic about turbochargers. the good thing about this topic is that it has sources and quotes from different aspect and kind of clears everything off in the turbo chargers aspect.

There is one question though i have in this regard. Do they turbo chargers have a limit of specific engines they can be put on or they can be used with any type of cars. For instance I have a 1000cc cars and a 800cc car, they both operate on petrol or gasoline you may put it. is there by any chace i can put Turbo chargers in them.

Also one more thing. Can turbo chargers work in choesion with NOS. There was also something mentioned about a scoop in the hood cutting the aerodynamics but an old fashioned Turbo charger thingy, if im correct. then can you please elaborate on that?

1) Turbochargers aren't really limited as to which engine they can be used on. In fact, it is the other way around . . . the engine is limited as to which turbocharger you can use on it. As an example, if you used a small turbo on an engine, the turbo may be capable of producing, say, 25psi of boost. This is fine. A larger turbocharger may produce 60psi of boost on the same engine. This may be fine too, as long as the engine can handle it. On the other hand, a small stock engine may handle a tiny turbo capable of producing 7psi of boost, but as soon as you put a larger turbo on it, boom! There is a lot more that goes into deciding which turbo to use for any given engine, but this should give you a good starting point in choosing.

2) Turbochargers work fine with NOS. NOS actually makes more oxygen available in the cylinder in 2 ways: first, the chemical release of oxygen from the NOS, and second, NOS is very cold when sprayed so this cools the air charge which makes the air more dense (more oxygen per liter).

3) Scoops in hoods are used for 2 purposes with regard to the engine: (1) ram air systems, which use the incoming air to force-feed the engine (same principle as a turbo, but is only efficient within a narrow rpm range), and (2) to scoop air to force it through a top-mounted intercooler (see my post above for an explanation on what an intercooler does). One note about top-mount intercoolers: heat rises from the engine and may possibly decrease the efficiency of the top-mounted intercooler. This is why many people prefer to mount the intercooler at the front of the vehicle in front of, or below, the radiator. As far as aerodynamics, scoops add only a minute amount of drag to the vehicle, but the amount of HP you gain by cooling the air with the intercooler more than makes up for it. Still, a front-mount intercooler adds no extra drag.