xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hibbso

Those Really Annoying Adverts you no... Loans?

Well i live in the UK so i dont know what it is like in the US. But have you ever noticed that adverts are really pointless?On cartoonnetwork and bomerang and all that sorta stuff you find these Loan adverts and Debt help stuff. And its like? A child would start phoning up a loan service and borrow 25 grand. Yeah come on. And the MOST annoying advert of all is the 'Picture' advert. The mum is scottish,the little boy comes from london and the dad come from wales. And when i worked it out, thier loans are absiloutly cheesy. If i was the primeminister or president what i would do is stop those adverts and review them over and over.

lol i ain't from US or UK but i agree on ur point about advertsthey simply ruin everything you watch on tv by suddenly appearing as a pause between parts of a serie or movieur point on cartoonnetwork and a little boy should make all the people think about it, why in gods name do they show those load ads in between two parts of children programsalso stopping those adverts would kill the tv channels, since thats their only way of getting incomethe more ads they show, the more cash they get for showing itunless the governement would pay the tv channels, we will have to cope with those annoying advers...

I know alot of the adverts bought on in the middle of popular series will be put there randomly as part of a package deal- but it seems to me, advertisers don't understand the people who watch the programmes. My favourite one was an advert for 'Heat' magazine during 'House', a Gritty doctors series shown at 9.pm with the majority of viewers being over the age of 35- what person of that age would read a girly fashion mag.I also agree with you about those loan adverts. I saw a Student Loan ad on Cbeebies (British toddler TV), I know they're supposed to attract the kids parents- but what college students watches Teletubbies with a three year old in the middle of the day- or at any time. :P

Well when there are little kids watching TV like Cartoon Network and stuff sometimes their parents will watch with them, so they aim the advertisements to the parents who might need a debt/loan or whatever. The stations take those who give them the most money, as long as they make money and it's appropriate, I don't think it'll matter much what the commercial is. People who do commercials spread them all over many stations and aim them toward who they think will be watching. They know kids might not like the stuff but their parents who may be forced to like it might remember it. Advertisements aren't supposed to entertain everyone, but to get customers from some people.

Keep in mind that the actual target audience is not the only demographic tuning in. Adults watch all sorts of cartoons - even those of us who don't have children have been known to tune in *smile* Besides...as somebody already pointed out, parents watch TV with their kids.None of this knowledge, however, makes it any less unsettling to see debt-relief advertisements during a block of cartoons. I always wonder if the lil' eight-year-olds watching are worried about credit-card debt, mortgages, or both :P

And just to add some to what folkrockfan says, because as usual I agree fully with her... Why is it every time someone is bothered by something like this the first thing they say is if they had power they'd put a stop to it? Does no one remember what it was like to live in a free society where the free market took care of itself? I assure you, the advertisers would not be wasting their money if they didn't have thorough market research that showed them the demographic they're trying to reach is watching such and such at this time slot or that. Just because E.D. or bladder control doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it doesn't apply to segments of the audience. Remember, the population is aging quite a bit more these days. Seems like every other ad I see on TV is for some old-people drug for one ailment or another and they all make me squeamish and reaching for the remote control.

If an ad bothers me *that* much, I turn off the TV or change the channel. It's not like anybody is forcing me to watch something that offends or annoys me, after all.

Adverts are supposed to target the people that need whatever they need, so if you don't need anything, they won't appeal to you. Usually there are a lot of television advertisements that might feature some catchy jingles or catch-phrases and slogans that generate a sustained appeal, which often last in the society long after the advertisement campaign is over. Some of these so called ad jingles or catch-phrases and slogans may take on lives of their own, and they might spawn gags that may appear in other places, such as comedy movies or television variety shows, or sites like YouTube, or in written media, such as magazine comics or literature. Get a mac adverts usually appeal to me, even though I don't plan on getting a mac. I guess it's personal opinion.

If an ad bothers me *that* much, I turn off the TV or change the channel. It's not like anybody is forcing me to watch something that offends or annoys me, after all.

Yes- I usually do that; but sometimes these ads are sneaky. In Britain, Channel 5 is always putting up adverts for disgusting television programmes during normal eating times. I only watch television whilst I'm eating as a treat, but this has happened so many times it's started to annoy. They don't give any fore warning of what's about to be shown, and it just pops up on screen with the picture or video in question.So far, there have been adverts for:
The man who's arms exploded.
The brother who gave birth to his brother.
Never see daylight (About a girl who's face was somehow mutilated at birth).

I mean- I can tolerate a few, but some of these adverts would make me feel ill even if I wasn't eating. I'm sorry for the people portrayed in them, but I just can't handle it. :P