xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
adriantc

Wireless Network Share Files And Printing How to setup it???

I was dreaming for months of making my good old internet connection into an wireless one. So now that I finished highschool and I'm a fresh student I thought I should make that dream a reality. So I brought a MSI wireless kit (router+wireless usb).Well when I decided to go for wireless internet I was afraid of the ruter settings. Since this is my first network I was afraid it would take ages to setup. However connecting to the internet was very easy... Just some modifications in the ruters settings so I can protect my connection (WPA2 mixed) and Internet was good to go. However now that I have internet almoust in my entire hourse I want more... I want a network between my two computers (a laptop and a desktop connected to the usb... later I think I will swich the desktop to an old fashioned wired connection). Basicly I want to be able to transfer files betwwen computers and share my Lexmark printer.On a normal wired connection that would be resonably eays, but how do I do it on a wireless connection. Please be as specific as possible... step by step!10x a lot,

Wireless is nothing more than wired network without the cumbersome wires running around.If you are used to sharing files and printer with wired network setup, do the same with wireless network setup. First you would need to make sure your laptop and desktop to belong in the same workgroup/domain. Second, install your printer to a computer and enable it as SHARED. And install printer as NETWORK PRINTER to the other computer. There would be some fine tuning with your firewall, permission and file sharing since not all OS version would operate the same. You'll need to specify what OS you are running along with which firewall software you installed before we can discuss any further.

Wireless is nothing more than wired network without the cumbersome wires running around.

If you are used to sharing files and printer with wired network setup, do the same with wireless network setup. First you would need to make sure your laptop and desktop to belong in the same workgroup/domain. Second, install your printer to a computer and enable it as SHARED. And install printer as NETWORK PRINTER to the other computer.

There would be some fine tuning with your firewall, permission and file sharing since not all OS version would operate the same. You'll need to specify what OS you are running along with which firewall software you installed before we can discuss any further.

I made the network... everything works fine.... the printer also. But I do have a small problem... In fact I made my problem... In my enourmous stupidity I decided to change the name of desktop so I had to add the desktop to the network again. Basicly I have 3 computers to the network now and there should only be two. There is no delete option or anything so how do I delete the extra computer? (with the printer there was a delete option so I cleaned the other printer)

Here is screenshot so you better understand the problem:

Posted Image

From what I found you need to get a wireless printer adapter for your printer and make sure to set up your printer with a TCPIP address and set the DHCP on your router. You have to make sure your Desktop is set up to be a gateway in order to move your files around be able to print from the laptop.

this [url=http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ on microsoft talks about how to set up a wireless network in a small office, and since you fit under that category, the walkthrough hsould be perfect for what your trying to do.

It seems the extra copy of my desktop has gone by itself... I really don't understand why it hasn't gone when it couldn't detect it. Anyway thats a typical thing for Microsoft software. Well as for my network everything works great right now file and printer sharing! Thanks for helping me!