xisto Community
kvarnerexpress

Viruses viruses problem

VirusesViruses are a common problem with PC computers. The best way to not get one is to install a good quality anti-virus (AV) program . Probably the best-known AV program is Norton Anti-Virus (NAV). I say known because there is a lot of debate on what makes a program the best. Many different people have different views on what they want/need for their system.A few of the AV programs that I've heard about :AvastAVGeTrustEZ AntivirusF-ProtF-SecureKasperskyMcAfeeNOD32NormanNorton AntivirusPandaEach of the programs have their pros and cons. In any case, if you don't have an anti-virus program now, get one. I can't really stress this enough, since if you have a virus on your system, it has the potential to spread to everyone else that you know online. Please don't let this happen.Another great tool to help you stay clean from viruses, common sense. If you get an e-mail in your inbox from Joe Schmo with subject "Great Deal" and there's an attachment in the e-mail... do yourself a favour and don't open it... it doesn't matter how curious you are... don't open it. Just delete it (or expunge it if your e-mail allows it).

Antivirus protection is extremely important, even if you don't have a high speed connection. My personal favorite is Kaspersky Antivirus. Although they don't have a free version they do have a free trial. Kaspersky has an easy to use interface as well as real-time scanning and automatic scheduling. Many of the features can be customized to allow for less intense scanning, less frequent updating, etc. The program is also light on the resources (8MB for me). I would reccommend AVG if you want free protection, but it doesn't handle some trojans well. My experience with programs like Norton and McAfee is that although they provide a few extra features, they are resource hogs.
I see that a lot of people I help have obtained viruses from p2p sources. P2P can be dangerous in this way. You just have to watch what files you download and open (primarily .exe). Another obvious way of contracting a computer virus is through email. If you already have a virus and know the name of it or can describe it, Norton and McAfee provide free tools (available on their website) to purge the virus. Many viruses can be prevented from spreading by blocking the ports they use through the use of a firewall (preferably a hardware firewall). Most wired routers come with a firewall option built in. In the end, being smart and aware, is the best vaccination for computer viruses.