xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shahrukhmalik3.142

Swicthing To Linux? People want to switch to linux, not only to get a more powerful system

I wanted to use Linux for a long time. But not having used any other OS than Windows I didn't know what to do. None of my friends know anything about computers to give any instructions. :P

So, I went to Google. Their I found many distros - both cheap and free.

What impressed me most was Ubuntu.

Not only because of its user-friendly-ness but also because you can get it delivered right at your doorstep free. From: https://blog.canonical.com/2011/04/05/shipit-comes-to-an-end/

It has great community support and can be used as a dual boot with Windows. You can access all your Windows content in Ubuntu and even run Windows software with Wine.

All Ubuntu software are freeware. :P

A main thing you will need with Ubuntu is an internet connection as all software will have to be downloaded.

Note: Ubuntu supports most dial-up connections and modems now. :P

So have you managed to install it yet? I currently use Kubuntu (Ubuntu with the KDE theme) and have found it very enjoyable. If you need any help don't hesitate to ask me, believe me; even though they claim it is user friendly- one of the hardest things I had to do immediately after the install was get the correct graphic drivers set up. If you're an inexperienced computer user I wouldn't recommend switching to Linux under any Distro without some heavy research.

Linux is a very interesting and enjoyable OS. UBUNTU is a very nice OS for desktop user. I suppose you already know much about UBUNTU. It is not that tough thing to operate this OS. Some told that it is even easier then Windows XP or what ever. Before Install any other OS I suggest you anothe version of Linux is "MANDRAKE"[some says Mandriva]. Try to read what Linux is. UBUNTU and MANDRAKE both are nice wonderful OS. Which OS you want to use its up to you. Guess there are many of us can help you how to use Linux. And one interesting news is there are many plug-in are available on www to download. One last thing do you know what Linux means....

linux for human beings

don't do it. I did it and I regret it. It totally screwed up my internet AND crashed my pc because you have to disable your firewall to use it, and it stops you from downloading.

don't do it. I did it and I regret it. It totally screwed up my internet AND crashed my pc because you have to disable your firewall to use it, and it stops you from downloading.

I didn't have to disable my firewall?I did mess up at first though. I tried to edit the usernames through the file they are stored in- bad idea. When you change a username that way, it does not reallocate the user folder to that name. Seeing as it was my only account- I couldn't login and had to reinstall Kubuntu. But that's my own fault; don't mess around with it.. :P

i use archlinux since one year ago aprox but my first distribution was ubuntu ( for a few weeks) then i tried fedora for 3 months and then id change to arch and i felt in love :P , but for beginners is better try a easy ( or retard) distro like ubuntu/suse. I recommend to not install packages for synaptic or visuals installers, try to install all for shell and u will learn a lot.

I did mess up at first though. I tried to edit the usernames through the file they are stored in- bad idea. When you change a username that way, it does not reallocate the user folder to that name. Seeing as it was my only account- I couldn't login and had to reinstall Kubuntu. But that's my own fault; don't mess around with it.. :P

You didn't have to reinstall Kubuntu, since it's a LiveCD. You could have loaded up the CD, mounted your HDD (if not already mounted), look for the file you edited in the HDD, and undo the modifications that you had done to it, manually. Then reboot from the HDD, and everything should be back the way it was. This is how i fix my problems when messing around with /etc/X11/xorg.conf. :P

An awesome thing about Linux (well at least my version that I'm using, Ubuntu 7.04 AMD 64-bit edition) is that it lets you try out the OS without actually installing anything. You just boot from the CD and try out Ubuntu with no worrying about it doing anything to your MBR. I think this is just the neatest thing, a very creative and helpful tool for letting people try out Linux.

Surely Ubuntu is the best. I am also a ubuntu user. I rarely use windows. Yeah that's true!I thought mot many people will be aware of ubuntu but I can see there are so many people in the gang!Acc. to me Fedora and redhat are most widelly used Linux Distros cause they are noot debian based and most of the packages are available as .rpm package. But I like Ubuntu! It rocks!