xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hateheals

Pc Infected Bigtme [resolved]

I downloaded and installed a game from a P2P software via LAN....then next thing i know that all of my EXE files are infected...am pretty much helpless here cause even the setup files are all infected and refuse to function...ran an antivirus and fond out that ALL exe files in woddows folder is infected..the AV tried to heal the files but to no avail..i think i might hafta renistall my OS..AGAIN...but can anything be done to avoid ha step?????NO setup file on my PC functions...some files DO function via CD...but thats about it.....

I downloaded and installed a game from a P2P software via LAN....then next thing i know that all of my EXE files are infected...am pretty much helpless here cause even the setup files are all infected and refuse to function...ran an antivirus and fond out that ALL exe files in woddows folder is infected..the AV tried to heal the files but to no avail..

i think i might hafta renistall my OS..AGAIN...but can anything be done to avoid ha step?????NO setup file on my PC functions...some files DO function via CD...but thats about it.....

If I wad you I WOULD definitely reinstall. There is no telling what system files and changes have been made. From what you say, it sounds like the damaga is very widespread.

Even with an antivirus that worked for you, it would be difficult to tell if you're system really has been cleaned. If you don't reinstall, you're computer could be keeping copies of the virus or backdoors into you're machine.

For you're security, and actually a quicker fix than trying to remove this (or maybe more than one virus/backdoor/keylogger if the attacking exe was a hacker "kit") it is best to re-install the os. It shouldn't take that long, and you will have the bonus peace of mind knowing you're system is clear.

Now, if you do decide to re-install the os, make sure you do this first:

1. When you're ready to re-install the os. Turn off the computer.

2. remove the power supply

3. remove the battery if it's a laptop or a backup supply if it's a desktop

4. Wait maybe 10 minutes for the RAM to lose it's temporary data and the capacitors to dissipate (virus files could remain in the Random Access Memory)

5. Format the disk (IMPORTANT - it's best to format the disk first then move on to reinstalling the os, rather than just overwriting with windows setup - This is easy enough...)

6. Go ahead and re-install you're os.

7. Make sure that any files from the old system you want to keep, you virusscan them first and copy only the files themselves. Don't copy folders. If you copy a folder you may well pick up a hidden executable or remnant of the virus, along with you're own stuff :D - so select you're files by hand from the backup.

Hope this helped. I know it's a bit long, but so is the problem you've got!!!

If you need any more help please PM me, I'd be happy to help you out.

Edited by Jimmy (see edit history)

I think you have abused your computer beyond belief and should let some professional handle it rather than you yourself fidget with it.

I do not think it is advisable to overwrite your OS again and again. You never mentioned your Pc Configuration. Think about it wisely before taking another step.

@ Jimmy: He had mentioned that it isn't easy for him to take a backup as he has too much of info on that P.C

Sorry Velma :D but I don't agree... In my opinion it would be the best course of action to re-install the os. It is a simple enough task to do.

Letting a professional try to correct the damage to exe's would be VERY expensive! (I know because I've once given my hard drive for data recovery, and they actually failed to succeed)

Losing you're data is bad, I know, as I lost thousands of my holiday photos from the hard drive issue (and it's upsetting too) but it sounds like you have no other choice. Try to make a list of the stuff you would like to keep on you're computer, I recommend paper and pen for this, like installed games and programs that you will wantt to download or install from cd once you're computer works again.

Also, possibly the best option if you have a lot of data you don't want to lose, is this:

1. buy another hard drive, it won't cost you much (but it will cost something. I'm not pretending it's all fine and dandy!).

2. take out you're infected drive

3. replace it and re-install the os on a new, clean drive.

4. In the meantime, give the infected drive to you're local pc wizard (PC world I think offers a data recovery service, but they are useless. I first gave the drive to them but they failed and I think it was them who broke the drive. the woman opened the RAM compartment to get at the disk, even after I had told her that that was not the right one!) and ask them to recover & backup the data you want to keep for you onto dvds or cds and ensure that is clean. This will probably cost you around ?80+ (depending on how many GB of data you have) if you feel that the data you want to keep is worth it...

It may cost you, but it starts getting expensive when you want your data back

If you feel you can bear not having it or getting it back when the virus has gone, it will be much cheaper for you!

James.

First off what happen to Velma's post it is not even there :D, but for the most part Jimmy is correct you have to reinstall it, worse case scenario that you would have to replace the hard drive with a brand new one. Have you tried a system restore, there is a small chance it could be done, but if that the .exe file that runs the system restore doesn't work, your computer is roasted toasted and burnt to a crisp.

In fact Michael makes a great point. I always neglect to remember the system restore. Try using that and tell us what happens :D Make sure you pick a point far back from the current virus problems.Don't worry, it can't damage you're comp more than already has hehe...And once you've fixed you're problems don't forget to go and buy Kapersky Internet Security Suite. It's probably the most effective virusscanner & a great firewall to go alongside.

thank you for all of your advice people...i DID reinstall my OS after formating my C; CLEAN....but i never go to see the fate of my PC as my Bro entered and sorta...well......quarantined me from that room...:P.i got a good AV on again and i deleted each and every .EXE file from my previous installation i could find.but the freaky part is that all of my restore points are corupted by the virus...so a restore is kinda outa question.but i have a funny feeling that someplace..the virus STILL exists on my pc..and the worst part..i cant do anything about it for another day or so....till then..i cant really say what might happen....@ Ms VelmaProfessionals COST a lot Ms velma...and frankly..im not really in a fianancial situation hire one...loans ARE accepted with pleasure though :P :P....and i dont really think i have done THAT much...i think you know that....

You have to remember all a computer virus is a piece of code, so once you quarantine, delete, override that piece of code it is gone. So once you reinstall an OS your basically overriding all that programing and the virus that was in your computer is now gone. The only way a virus could stick around would be if it was a hardware virus and you rarely hear about that, and to finish up make sure to update your anti-virus, firewall, windows security and all that good stuff on a weekly basis. Also never ever download through P2P because most of the time all those files are viruses in disguise.

the scene is that i formatted ONLy my C: ...leaving the D;,E:,F:,G; and H: untouched...too much data to lose...i suspect that the infection spread thrrough that.....any other suggestions other than reinstalling the OS...coz thats kinda outta question now....

the scene is that i formatted ONLy my C: ...leaving the D;,E:,F:,G; and H: untouched...too much data to lose...i suspect that the infection spread thrrough that.....any other suggestions other than reinstalling the OS...coz thats kinda outta question now....

ah now we have a bit more info. Multiple drives definitely complicate the situation! Although there is a high chance the virus only targets the operating system (and therefore that drive only) - I've had a couple like this and they did certainly ignore my other drives...

I suggest using you're new virusscanner to clean or find&delete any infected files on the other drives, THEN re-install the OS. Sorry, but that seems like a good way of ensuring it's all gone

FINALLY got rid of the bugger...installed avast AV..worked wonders....pity had to delete all previously installed files and softwares.....but nevertheless....still am on full alert for the bugger.....thank you for all of your valuable suggestions people...

Hello,Hope you take care of your computer better and I guess you have learnt your lesson...Never download things from P2P :PAnyway Can I consider this topic as resolved? Please reply back so that I can mark this topic as resolved :P***Topic is resolved.***Please PM any moderator to continue this discussion. Until then, this topic is closed.