xisto Community
renegade-designs

Warning*important Read*! about your computer getting hacked

This is new kind of spyware, they use windows messenger service to send spam messages to range of IP's... What you should do, is turn of messenger service... or tell your firewall to block all incoming messages on that port... I can't remember what port number is, but turning that service off completely will stop those messages. This will also prevent all administrative messages as well, but if you are not on LAN, this is not a problem... PM me if you need further help

This "attack" is not tied to Windows or MSN messenger, it is integral part of Windows! Uninstalling any of these programs will not prevent this security hole!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep. They are using the Windows Service "Messenger" and they can do all sorts of stuff with it.

To turn it off would be the best kind of prevention. I wont write a tutorial on how to do so seeing as someone might need the service unknowingly and blame me for it but its pretty simple. You should be able to figure it out yourself.

I would really like to know how to close open ports... any ideas anyone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, the best way is to use the router, but, not everyone can afford/use the router (me included :rolleyes:)

So, the best way is to use a firewall, and create a rule to block all incoming and outgoing traffic. I personaly use AtGuard, and it does the job of protecting me, though if someone wanted to get in real badly, I guess they could, easily :)

Anyway, I thing AtGuard is great, why else would Symantec buy it, and make Norton Firewall, right? :)

Avoid using "intuitive firewalls", like ZoneAlarm, because they THINK they know what to let in, or let out.

Isnt windows firewall good enough which is included in sevice pack 2? It seems to block all programs trying to connect to the internet.... :rolleyes:

Isnt windows firewall good enough which is included in sevice pack 2? It seems to block all programs trying to connect to the internet....  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess this is my que to laugh... :) Seriously, MS firewall isn't good for anything. Mainly, 'cause it let's MS software out, wich I don't like sending "annonymous" information... Besides, I've seen SP2 crash many systems... It's just crappy...

I just want to be able to specify what goes out, what comes in... Without exception... I know I'm using a lot of MS software, but I just got used to it.. My only option is tu try and contain it as much as possible :)

There is nothing to be scared about I think. All you have to do is update a good antivirus and do not open attachments in emails, etc. unless ofcourse you are sure you know what you are handling. Too much inqisitiveness about a program or attachment is fatal for your computer.Say you can be easily tricked by a friend who sends you a keylogger script with your mail attackment, he gets all your mail passwords and bank account passwords. enough. you are done.