xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Plenoptic

Edison's Light Bulb To Be Replaced By Oleds

General Electric currently is working on creating a new source of light that will replace the light bulb. Not only that, but it will be more energy efficient. OLED stands for Organic Light Emitting Diodes. They glow when electrodes are charged with electricity. The cool thing about OLED's, is they can be on plastic, making them flexible and really thin. So now, General Electric is trying to find a way to cheaply roll off these plastic lights like it's a "newspaper reel". They plan to then implement them into the walls or the ceiling of your house. They really can go anywhere where there is a power supply, and they are brighter than LED's, of course the more voltage you apply the brighter it will be. You can punch holes in it and it will work still... so I think. They plan to have this out for public use in the year 2010.

This is some pretty interesting news I think. If you are able to have lights on that thin plastic then there won't really be the need for lamps and what not. Only problem I can think of though is, what happens if you damage one of the little squares, because I also read water can damage them really easily. Hopefully this will be a cheaper and more efficient way of producing light, because the lightbulb has been around since 1893. They have more efficient light sources now but this could be a much greater success. They come in different colors too. :D

Article and Video:
http://www.geglobalresearch.com/blog?blog_id=108

Thats very interesting, I actually seen something microsoft is doing that kind of fits in this field. While it isnt anything to do with organics, it does have to do with advancing technology...

http://www.microsoft.com/surface/de-de

There are three videos on that website. It is working on a computer that you use anything as a mouse/keyboard... type with your fingers on the screen, or use a brush/pencil. And its made as your coffee table. They thought about using it in resturants and you can "touch" the table and order the food you want. You can put your phone on your table, and itll store the phone numbers... or you can put your camera on the table and itll store the photos. You can them send those photos through the mail.

I think this is incredible idea, and the OLED's reminded me of it.