xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
GamerGlitch

My Dog

My family invested in a Labradoodle because they are said to not shed, my dad is allergic to dogs so this was a plus, and the main reason we picked the breed. However, my dog Coco, is still shedding a flaw in the genetical breeding process. This really angers me and especially my dad, he is sneezing twice as much, and he should not be. It feels as though we were cheated out. And not only dpes the dog shed she also barks non stop. Geeze, why can't I get a brake around here, she is barking right now :D.

I don't have a dog so I wouldn't know how to deal with the problem. I don't know if there is a way to calm them down or anything. It's too bad the dog sheds, there really isn't much you can do though because it was just a genes problem. You can try to find another home for the dog you have now if you don't like it and maybe buy another dog from an owner who knows it doesn't shed. Or I'm pretty sure you can get allergy medicine to stop the effects or at least minimize the effects. Only problem is that will cost even more money.

Your problem lies in the fact that this is a cross breed. Labradors do shed horribly, but Poodles do not. Unfortunately your cross got more Lab genes than Poodle. I am sorry your father is having such a challenging time with the new dog. He will probably get no relief as long as you have the dog. I also suspect that the dog senses the tension from the effect he is having on your father. This might be part of the reason for the barking. My suggestion may seem harsh, but you should probably get rid of the dog for everybodies sake. Yes, if you have had this dog for long, I realize that parting with it will be difficult. But in the long run, your father, the dog, and you will all be much happier campers and find life more enjoyable. Then look into getting a truely non-shedding dog like a pure Poodle or a Bichon Frise both of which I know for a fact do not shed. There are other breeds that don't shed, but my experience is limited to these two breeds. Good Luck!

Ah....the labradoodle, the dog that more or less started the current (and stupid in my book) "designer dog" fad. Put simply. Poodles do not shed. Labs shed. When you mix the 2, maybe they won't and maybe they will. There is no way to know. So it is not a flaw in genetics, it's simply the odds. Personally, I don't see the attraction in the current fad. When you consider there are allready over 400 different types of purebred dogs, it is not difficult to find one that is a proper match for your family. Granted, allergies to tend to limit your choises however. There are only 2 breeds that do not shed, one is the poodle and the other is the schnauzer. And don't let anybody tell you any different. I have had people claim that Shih Tzu's don't shed, but that is definatly a myth. Soft Coated Wheatens are also better tolerated by people with allergies, but they still shed. When you get a purebred as opposed to a mix, many years of selective breeding goes into asuring you that you will get exactly the dog you want. Any mix is just a crap shoot. Length of haircoat in no indicator of shedding either. Many short haired dogs actually make more of a mess than long haired dogs. Sheepdogs for example, tons of hair, but if you have one in the house, you will not see much hair scattered about if you occasionally brush the dog. The hair tends to cling together and not fall all over the place, if you brush, you get 90% of the hair in the brush, not all over your house. Now, about the barking. Sorry, but that is your fault. Dogs do not come pre-programed. YOU have to train them. And before you give up on the dog, there are some dog shampoos that reduce allergins on the dog. Might try that first.

I have a Shih Tzu and yes it does shed, if I do not groom him properly ... simply brushing him 2 or 3 times a week keeps me from finding and fur that he would have other wise shed ... But as another poster stated, research is the best tool ...

I have a Shih Tzu and yes it does shed, if I do not groom him properly ... simply brushing him 2 or 3 times a week keeps me from finding and fur that he would have other wise shed ... But as another poster stated, research is the best tool ...

Yes, Shih Tzu's are little hair fallout factories! I made a lady very mad one day when she called and wanted to buy a shih Tzu puppy because she said they didn't shed. When I told her they did she got down right hatefull and said they didn't, that she had one and so she knew they didn't. Needless to say I didn't sell her a pup, but I am not going to lie to people to sell a dog. Just comes back and bites you in the butt.

There are also some dogs that are just seasonal shedders, in the spring they shed out their winter coats, once those are gone they shed very little the rest of the year.

I have a dog named Dali. He is 6 years old and he is Dalmatian. Here is a picture how it looks: Posted Image. Dalmatians are my favorite breed of dog. I just like them. Is there someone who has the same breed of dog, or someone who had it?

Welcome to Xisto BobbyBans. Cute dog! My friend had Dals and though I never had any, I was around her's alot. They are generally pretty good dogs, but there are quite a few of them that have rather peevish dispositions. Some are downright cantankerous. They don't have as much bite inhibition with humans as many dogs do. Since they were originated to clear the roadways of bystanders when the horse drawn fire trucks had to run down the road, it stands to reason that they would want to get people moving out of the way by whatever means nessesary. Of course, I never really understoood why you would be more inclined to get out of the way of a dog running at you then you would a team of horses thundering down on you, but what do I know, lol.