xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hateheals

Unknown Virus Problem [resolved] Getting Rid of An Unknown Computer Virus

My PC got infected about 2 months ago,but the catch was,that the virus never hampered my system performance and evaded all tests done by all kinds of antivirus softwares which of course was kept updated.THe only problem was that i kept seeing the blue stop screens every now and then and a message that said that a file encounteredand error and had to be had to be shut down,that file was deleted by me quiet a lot of times,but it still kept spawning back .then i overwrote my OS ,restoring almost new settings,and the stop screens didnt appear anymore but,there are two files that i suspect are the cause of infection,are still of myPC and manage to evade detection by around 5 different avtivirus softwares for the SECOND time.these two files are upto something in my pc that i cannot detect.The wierd part is,that McAfee detected one of the files engaging in illegal script activity only ONCE,thats what im worried about.any suggestions as to how to gett rid of these two files,coz formatting my WHOLE HDD is out of question,coz i dont have a backup,suggestions and soultions are most welcome

Well, you could go into safe mode to delete them, that's what i would try. The virus should not start up in safe mode. Also, for future reference if you ever think you're going to download potentially dangerous software or go to potentialy dangerous websites use sandboxie, it's a wonderful program that works great at protecting your system.

Another solution I propose is that you google or yahoo the file name and in your search mention virus and see what you can come up with, because usually if you search the file name with virus added to i you can find results for it. Also where on your computer are these files located? Also if you haven't already download spybot, update it, then run it and see if spybot can pick it up; sometimes it works and sometimes it don't, but since your did a system restore and it still showed up that means that file was set up so it couldn't be removed, which means either you have to reinstall the OS or worse case scenario replace the hard drive and some other memory related stuff.

i dont know the virus name...the two files are named temp1 and temp2 and are in system32 folder...i tried the spybot thingy just today and it didnt pick ANYTHING up....and before i overwrote my OS...i kept seeing a message that said that c:/windows/system32/services.exe terminated with error code 255 and this system will shut down in 60 seconds...after that time..it froze and never shut down....all this stopped now....and also...panda detected one of the two files yesterday...but it never cleaned any of em and just terminated.....never to function again ....tryin to reinstall it again....one of the two files keeps terminating,showin an error message every time i open any of my drives.....other than that....they seem to be harmless...

Could you do a system repair with windows installation CD.You put the CD in the drive, boot from from CD and after it loads, pick the option to install windows on the system (not repair windows!!!). On the next window, press F8, then pick the option to REPAIR THE INSTALLATION.The above will replace all system files with fresh ones from windows CD.I hope this helps.

coz formatting my WHOLE HDD is out of question,coz i dont have a backup

That time you are thinking about that virus you can go to shop by some CD or DVD and backup your files. Formatting disc will be that thing that you must do. If anti-virus not detected virus and virus is at your HDD then format will be good thing to do..And you have disc with only one partition or it is two partition?

this sounds famaliar to the worm that was going around couple 'la months ago, it terminates system services when windows boot effectively making your OS superflous. I would suggest reformatting, or under the 60 seconds try to copy as much ESSENTIAL FILES as you can to a usb flash drive and when you've reinstalled your OS DO NOT INSERT THE FLASH DISK!!!!! Get as much unclonflicting AV software as you can (all fully updated) then insert the flash disk, any viruses should be detected, if there is a virus quickly move that file to quarantine, format the flash drive then submit (or delete) the file in quarantine