xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
castlecrazy

Help With Adding Php Forums On My Site

Hey guys! I am kinda new to the whole PHP scene and I am struggling to figure out how to add some simple forums to my site. Being that wonderful Xisto has free PHP support, I was wondering if anyone could send some help my way on how to go about doing this. Thanks in advance!

Which Forums are you trying to install? Usually there are installation instructions included in the documentation of the forums. Most forums you just upload to your website, then run the install script and enter all your information for database name, username, password, and host; then you should be set. If you have the name of the type of forums I could help you further.

Unfortunately the fantastico script is not running at the moment on cpanel, otherwise, the easiest way is to use the fantastico script...

As for forums: what you do depends on how large a forum you want: e.g. for how many people is it meant for...20, 200, 2000....

some good ones (as can be seen in other posts) are invisionboard and phpbb, both of which are suitable for nearly any number of visitors (except for perhaps 10 or less in which case it is not worth the effort)

Installation instructions for phpbb: https://www.phpbb.com/support/documents.php?mode=install
The only bit which you will need to do is create a mysql database, with mysql database user....which isn't so hard.

I'm sure if you need further help, there are plenty of people who could help on trap 17: for example just send a pm if you need my help!