xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

My New Pup Skye Terrier, Show Me Girl

A year ago last spring I lost my old Ebony, she was a Standard Schnauzer. I have been a long time considering a replacement for her. I have pretty much decided that this will be my next girl. Though I'm still torn and wanting another Standard. Hard decision to make. I am going to try to post her picture. Hopefully I can figure out how. post-44799-1184372572_thumb.jpg

Well, hopefully Ebony has managed to be founded by a nice home. Two dogs that i have were both strays. One of them was homeless—founded in the neighborhood as a pup; born in the neighborhood too. And these three get along fine, thankfully. :D But the prices on dog food are pretty high ever since that poison incident. Buying food for four dogs is something.

I should of been more clear I guess, I didn't loose her like she wandered off, she passed away. She was almost 14. She was a great dog, and part of the reason I haven't been in any hurry to get another house dog. I got her as an adult dog, she was about 6-7 when I got her, and she was almost never more than 5 feet away from me from then on. She went everywhere with me. She made the best traveling companion. I could pull over in any rest area and take a nap, she would sit up in the seat next to me and watch, and growl if anyone came near the car. No chance of anybody sneaking up on me! I sure do miss her.

sorry to hear that. i feel for you when you decide to get a new dog. i remember when i lost my pet (she died from a weird disease), i couldn't force myself into taking care of another dog. i couldn't take her to the vet because i don't have money. moreover, she got sick and died quickly, at first i thought she was just sad then she doesn't eat anymore then the following day she died. :D now that we have a new dog, i still take care of them but i don't want to get too attached because of that death of my favorite dog.i think it's good in a way that you're getting a different type(?) of dog, in a way you're sort of moving on from that phase. in my opinion, getting the same type(?) as the one that died before feels like you're not yet moving on, and that you want to find the qualities from your late pup in the new dog. they're different dogs with different personalities, and i think comparison would bring some resentment on your part.of course in the end it's going to be your decision. good luck on that and be sure to post the picture when you do have time.

Thanks. I know the new pup will have to be her own dog, and not just a replacement. Of course, the temperment of the old dog is what I prefer, and of course, one of the main reasons for getting a purebred dog is to know that you will have that basic temperment. Each dog may have it's own little quirks, but in general dogs of a purebreed are predictable in their natures.

I didnt know that, I guess thats the reason they are so expensive then. I have a dog right now but it seems as though our neighboors influence made use like cats. Right now there are 3 cats in my house and a dog.... about a little bit more than a year ago it was just the dog. They used to fight in the beginning but not anymore. I didnt know dogs could live that long, I though the max was arount 8 - 10 years. Pretty sad when their time is up.

Yes, getting a purebred makes certain things a given. Like the size, color, coat type, etc. Purebred is the way to go for many people, who have specific wants in their choices in a pet. For example, someone with allergies might only be able to get a poodle or schnauzer, the 2 breeds that don't shed. Or a duck hunter may require only a retriever, sending in a bulldog to fetch a duck from the lake would not be wise, they don't swim and would sink like a rock. As to life expectancy, it corralates with the size of the dog. The very large dogs, and the very tiny dogs have the shortest life expectancies. An Irish Wolfhound or a mastiff on average lives 7-9 year, the tiny yorkies and chihuahua's are also very short lived. The dogs in the mid range, say, 30 to 50lbs live the longest, in this day and age with good vet care and proper diet dogs often live passed 16 years.

I'm sorry about you loss, but I have to say the other dog is quite cute. I've never seen a dog that looks much like that except for a Yorkshire terrier. I guess they don't sell them around here.(I've always wondered why such small dogs cost so much.)