xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Striker9099

Can't Re-direct

Hmm... I have no idea I have tried different ways to try and produce the error, but with no results. I would have to say it is a fluke at the time, but you mention this has happen multiple times and you still produce the error. Nothing really comes to mind as to why it would do this unless I am missing something in the url or how you type the url into the redirect panel.

Hmm... I have no idea I have tried different ways to try and produce the error, but with no results. I would have to say it is a fluke at the time, but you mention this has happen multiple times and you still produce the error. Nothing really comes to mind as to why it would do this unless I am missing something in the url or how you type the url into the redirect panel.

Well I don't know what I did wrong, but if you check the "Manage Redirects" tool, you'll see something like this:

http://yourdomain.com/text box >> http:// text box

well I tried to leave the first text box empty and then fill the other one with "thedebate.trap17.com/Joomla" and it didn't work. Then I tried to fill the first text box with "public_html" and then fill the other one with "thedebate.trap17.com/public_html/Joomla" and it still didn't work... so can you tell me what's wrong and what should I do to make it work?

I believe you cannot redirect home page to another subfolder due to some permission (which I have no idea since cPanel is still new to me).

The quick fix is to write your own redirect script.

PHP index.php in public_html

<?phpheader("Location:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/
folder(or file)"); /* Redirect browser to any location*/
exit;
?>

The above code will redirect to any location you choose in domain or domain/folder, in your case just Joomla will do.

HTML index.htm(l) in public_html
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="5; URL=Joomla/">

You can insert a message like "You're being redirected to this page..." while the number 5 (measurements in seconds) dictates how long before it redirects. Obviously you can set to zero without any message. To show a message or a splash screen, build a regular HTML page with BODY and etc tag.

Another option is to use .htaccess (which your cpanel's redirect modifies) but it's bit tricky. And that's why I propose above two options.

I believe you cannot redirect home page to another subfolder due to some permission (which I have no idea since cPanel is still new to me).
The quick fix is to write your own redirect script.

PHP index.php in public_html

The above code will redirect to any location you choose in domain or domain/folder, in your case just Joomla will do.

HTML index.htm(l) in public_html

<META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="5; URL=Joomla/">

You can insert a message like "You're being redirected to this page..." while the number 5 (measurements in seconds) dictates how long before it redirects. Obviously you can set to zero without any message. To show a message or a splash screen, build a regular HTML page with BODY and etc tag.

Another option is to use .htaccess (which your cpanel's redirect modifies) but it's bit tricky. And that's why I propose above two options.

Thanks alot for the help man! I tried so many things to make it work but it didn't work! now I'm gonna try the first method you provided. and by the way, on my old host which had the old cPanel I used to redirect very easily but I don't know what's wrong with this new cPanel. it sucks! first the problem with fantastico and now the redirection problem! the coders better start taking care of their production!

damn! it didn't work! :S ok here's what I did. I put this code in a file named "index.php"

<?phpheader("Location:http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;); /* Redirect browser to any location*/
exit;
?>

then I uploaded to public_html. but it didn't work :S isn't this what I am supposed to do?

Notice from BuffaloHELP:
Merged. Always use EDIT unless your post is not the last reply.

LOLSorry, I didn't mean to laugh but did you open a notepad to create this file? Try again because I can see the "code" which means it wasn't saved as a right type.Open NotepadEnter PHP code I gaveSave As, then select Save As Type to All FilesThen type index.phpThis is the only way of creating .php without any special software.Let me know if you are still having the problem I'll send you mine. I've tested out and it's working just fine.

After I let it stew for awhile I remember a redirecting post on Xisto in which I had to install joomla and then set up a redirection to show someone how it was done. I don't remember having any problems on the permission files, but it was a pre-install script so it wouldn't have matter anyways. I know you can redirect to another sub folder with no problems I have done it hundreds of times, but a question does come out though striker why didn't you just install joomla on your main folder instead of creating a sub folder for it? It would make more sense especially on the SEO side; but to make sure go over the installation read me again and check to make sure your file permissions are correct as buff said it could be the problem.

LOL
Sorry, I didn't mean to laugh but did you open a notepad to create this file?

Try again because I can see the "code" which means it wasn't saved as a right type.

Open Notepad
Enter PHP code I gave
Save As, then select Save As Type to All Files
Then type index.php

This is the only way of creating .php without any special software.

Let me know if you are still having the problem I'll send you mine. I've tested out and it's working just fine.

well actually I used Microsoft Share Point but it also didn't include the .php extension, so then after I saved the file I changed its extension :D now I'll try to do what you said and I'll see what will happen.

After I let it stew for awhile I remember a redirecting post on Xisto in which I had to install joomla and then set up a redirection to show someone how it was done. I don't remember having any problems on the permission files, but it was a pre-install script so it wouldn't have matter anyways. I know you can redirect to another sub folder with no problems I have done it hundreds of times, but a question does come out though striker why didn't you just install joomla on your main folder instead of creating a sub folder for it? It would make more sense especially on the SEO side; but to make sure go over the installation read me again and check to make sure your file permissions are correct as buff said it could be the problem.

well actually I was installing it on my main directory first but then I had one problem... while installing when they give me the list of the writable files there's one that was saying "unwritable" and it is something like "Session save path" check this out. so then I deleted all the files related to Joomla and tried to re-install it in a sub-directory hoping that this problem would be solved but it didn't :S and I completed the whole installation while this "Session save path" was still marked Unwritable. so do u think this is the problem? and what is this "session save path" anyway?

UPDATE REPORT

YES! it worked! thanks alot for the help :P and by the way, I have another question... does Xisto - Support Java? well I'm asking because I was trying to integrate a chatroom from userplane into Joomla and it didn't work. it just kept giving me a blank small rectangle in the middle of the content area. well a friend of mine told me that this could be due to the fact that the userplane webchat is made in Java... so what do you think?
Notice from BuffaloHELP:
This is your last warning. We enabled EDIT feature so that you do not need to double post! Merged.

So what did you do to fix the problem you were having so other people who "might" have a similar problems in the future. The only conclusion I can draw from was that you set the correct permissions somewhere, but that is only a guess, but instead of making a new post just edit the one with the update you made with the solution you came up with or what was fixed.

well what I did is that I did what BuffaloHELP told me to do (open notepade, copy the code, save as .php file) then I uploaded this file to my root directory and HAD TO delete the index.html file so that it would actually work. (first I didn't delete the index.html file so it didn't work)
Edited by Striker9099 (see edit history)

One topic per discussion. Do not alter or hijack the thread.To answer your question, JAVA is client side based script. This means, your browser or your computer must support JAVA scripts. Check your browser setting to see if it's enabled or have the latest version installed.If you are asking server side javascript, the answer is no.

So what did you do to fix the problem you were having so other people who "might" have a similar problems in the future. The only conclusion I can draw from was that you set the correct permissions somewhere, but that is only a guess, but instead of making a new post just edit the one with the update you made with the solution you came up with or what was fixed.