xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mich

Delphi For Windows By Borland What is it?

Duh, I picked up a copy of Delphi for Windows from a freebie box at my Library, but don't want to load it on my puter until I understand what it is. I went to the Borland web site and tried to figure out what Delphi is about, but evidently it is over my head. :D Is is some kind of programming software? I am not a great techy. If someone could try to explain it to me in plain English, I would appreciate it. Edited by Mich (see edit history)

Duh, I picked up a copy of Delphi for Windows from a freebie box at my Library, but don't want to load it on my puter until I understand what it is. I went to the Borland web site and tried to figure out what Delphi is about, but evidently it is over my head. :D Is is some kind of programming software? I am not a great techy. If someone could try to explain it to me in plain English, I would appreciate it.

Ah yes Delphi...my used to be no.1 programming language. How many people exactly use it nowadays? Probably in little organisations where there are "some" organising work going around ^^; The good thing about Delphi programming you can create programs (obviously), from Windows based to Web based programs. It can involve a database (I use MS Access) so you can store and retrieve data just like MySQL.

If you like to debug Windows (in most cases, you will find alot of time to do this), you can use Delphi too to see the actual assembly language. Delphi, doesnt seem to sound a great deal, but in that package, it is very powerful, especially for debuggers. I assume you know what a debugger right? :P Yup thats Delphi. :P

Edited by gc87 (see edit history)

Delphi is a programming language and software suite similar to VisualBASIC, only it doesn't suck as much because it doesn't make as bloated of applications like VisualBASIC(you can make the same application in C for probably half as less as a the VB application with twice the performance). I'd reccomend it to beginners as it is Pascal based, and Pascal is great for teaching programming because it is very strict in syntax but forgiving with features like memory management which C lacks.

Thanks for the info gc87 and Tetraca. This stuff is way over my head even to begin with. I have returned the CD to the library so somebody who can understand how to us it might benefit from it. Programming is way out of my league. :P Guess I will just stick to my graphics programs. :D