xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
shadowx

Uk Flooding Due To Heavy Rain! Several areas affected

Some more interesting news for you!

in the last couple of weeks the Uk has experienced lots of rainfall considering the time of year. This rainfall has overwhelmed ur drains and rivers and left many places flooded. Thankfully i live in an area not really affected, near london things arent so bad. But just the other day i was in a friends car and we were worried that the car would be flooded because there was a good two feet, about 2/3rds of a meter, of water in the road as it dipped down, needless to say we didnt go back that way!

The funny thing is this happened near the Glastonbury festival when everyone says its going to rain... well this time they underestimated it! it is said that in just 24 hours a whole months worth of rain fell in some parts of the Uk, of course this much water is a disaster for rivers and drainage systems and so they just burts and overflowed. the drains were so full that the pressure of the water actually lifted manhole covers out of their frames and left them tipped up at an angle in the middle of the road with water spurting about a mater straight up, these manhole covers are defiantly not light so the pressure must have been huge!

About 3,OOO homes were flooded leaving 3,5OO people to be rescued in just a few days! I heard that Sheffield was effectively closed off due to the flood waters completely filling the city! I understand that effectively all of the roads into and out of the city were either closed by police or flood waters and to top it off a rather large dam is in a critical state although the dangers have subsided due to fire crews pumping the water out, see: BBC NEWS for details about the dam. Residents down stream are being allowed to go home after they were evacuated due to the possibility of the dam bursting flooding thousands of people, if this happened during the night time hours it could have been disastrous!

As i understand it 5 people have died despite the biggest rescue efforts in peace time since the world wars. The environment agency has issued a total of 62 flood warnings including 1O severe warnings and the flooding is said to be inevitable. This is bad.. the added problem is more rain to come!

There is expected to be rainfall of 15-25mm (up to 1in) on Saturday, although some places could see 40-50mm (up to 2in).

BBC weather forecaster Jay Wynne said: "Today it's a pretty reasonable day. One or two light showers. There will be some rain overnight.

"The main event is going to be this weekend. There will be plenty of wet, windy weather across the country on Saturday.

Goody!! Its bad enough already! To add to the rest a train carrying 15O passengers was derailed after it hit a landslide, thankfully it doesn't seem to be too bad though im not sure if anyone was inured but the image shows the train in good condition and still the right way up.

The causes are said to be the jet stream being abnormally to the south leaving the UK prone to low pressure systems which have hit and lingered for a while, i think the weather is clearing up as the website suggests the next weather system will be moving rather than lingering.

The full story is at:http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6247870.stm And for flooding tips check http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/