xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
pr3dr49

Censorship Should we fight it, or allow it?

I peresonally believe that censorship resebmles cancer. Many books have been censored in the course of time, and there are many more being censored every day, all over the world.Censored books should at least be published on the net.Or maybe not?What do you think?

well i personally i have no problem with censorship coz its done for a reason and well it should still be there , i mean jus imagine if it werent there , people would like jus go wild and madly out of control (esp the kidds lol) ;)

I don't think anything should be censored, if someone doesn't want to see something they shouldn't look at it. Not only that, whos to say whats appropriate or inappropriate, because it isn't always clear. I think that many people overreact to something which isn't a very big deal. Just because you don't like something or think that it's inappropriate doesn't mean everyone thinks the same.

I think some censorship is reasonable, as the minds of young children are easily warped, but I think it's gotten out of hand. We shouldn't teach our children to be prudes, merely respectably modest (NOT perfect.) Our local library refuses to order "The Anarchist Cookbook" because of it's "suggestive" material, and I think that's pushing some limits...

It depends on what has been censored...Liteary censorship is one thing.I think that popular music and anything else which directly infuences children should be more strictly censored. Is it right that seven and eight year olds sing along to christina aguilera saying they want to get dirty?There is a question of parental responsibility but its almost impossible to prevent children see something which is bradcast so widely.

The only censorship I would condone is possibly censoring something that's blatantly intended to help or inciting people to commit malicious acts (but only in extreme cases), censoring false information (if it could be harmful or dangerous if distributed), censoring private information (obviously), or trying to protect children from material they can't handle. Besides that, people should be warned if they're going to see something disgusting (unlike some web sites I know of). Anyway, I would oppose censorship of literature or anything similar as long as the people who view or read it know what they're getting into and the people are mature enough to handle it.

I think censorship hinders creativity. Lots of books are being censored. I mean, they should at least give people the choice to buy the 'censored' or the 'uncencored' version. For the 'uncensored' version, they sohuld warn what type of content is to be expected. I think that would be okay.However, it responsible for the society to disallow material children can't handle. Its not too healthy...I feel that we should be given a choice if we can to see the 'censored' or 'uncensored' version, be it books, movies and so on...

Censorship isn't such a great deal, its just a matter of words. Uptight politicians get carried away with it to gain votes from senior members of the community. I say who cares, caus obviously i and many other people dont.

It is our duty as Americans to fight censorship.We build this country on freedom of speech and other basic freedoms, and censorship is taking that away. The Patrior Act is a great example of horrible censorship not of just communication but of human life in general.

Censorship to a certain extent is needed. Not everyone deserves to have their opinions known, especially if it is meant to personally attack another human being or race of human beings.

The more something is censored, the more people are going to be attracted to it. Remember the parent advisory labels and how Walmart put those up in front because they sold more. If people said screw it to trying to control what the populus believed in then people would be more "mature" with what they are doing.

I'm sure everyone here's read Fahrenheit 451. (If you haven't, do so, it's one of the best books ever.) I read in one of Ray Bradbury's (the author) introductions that F451 was published in a book for high school lit students -- with the bad language censored out! If that's not ironic, I don't know what is.

I believe F 451 was about either 9/11 (Not referring to Farenheit 911) or a tale of Firemen. I could be wrong either way, I just know there was a movie aobut both, named similiarly.